Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Steam & Excursion > After the UP 4014 Excursion, some time to enjoy Barstow Oct 12th

Date: 10/17/19 12:43
After the UP 4014 Excursion, some time to enjoy Barstow Oct 12th
Author: BuddPullman

The October 12th UP 4014 trip from Colton to Barstow was enjoyable, plus it provided riders the opportunity to visit the old Santa Fe Barstow Harvey House and Hotel, "Casa Del Desierto".  Certainly a treasure for the community.

Date: 10/17/19 12:46
After the UP 4014 Excursion, some time to enjoy Barstow Oct 12th

The former Fred Harvey Dining Room. Train and passenger activity at the historic facility. 

Date: 10/17/19 17:38
Re: After the UP 4014 Excursion, some time to enjoy Barstow Oct 1
Author: callum_out

Nice local shots, I don't think I've heard "Barstow" and "enjoy" in the same sentence in years!

Out

Date: 10/18/19 06:15
Author: dpudave

Out, I'm still laughing. d

Date: 10/18/19 07:44
Author: Josta

Unfortunately the Route 66 museum at the Depot was closed that day

Posted from Android

John Acosta
Palm Springs, CA

Date: 10/18/19 18:19

I understand.

I missed the Barstow Harvey House in the pre 1971 Santa Fe heyday.

When I worked as an Amtrak Assistant Conductor on the Southwest Chief and Desert Wind in 1990 and 1991, the building was a shuttered ghost like faciltiy. Thank goodness it was not razed.  Today it shines brighter than I remember it.  I did come through Barstow in July of 1955 from Kansas City on the northern section of the "Grand Canyon" with my parents and siblings to visit LA and Disneyland. Although, I was too young to remember it.

Looking at the facility today, I can enjoy the historic significance that surroungs the 1911 built structure.

tcallum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice local shots, I don't think I've heard
> "Barstow" and "enjoy" in the same sentence in
> years!
>
> Out

Date: 10/18/19 19:59
Author: Bob3985

I love the photo with the arched opening and the sleeper Omaha centered in the opening.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 10/18/19 20:57
Author: BoilingMan

I did know there was anything in the depot these days!  I'll have to make and effort to visit someday.
SR

It was a kick to see you on the train, HH, but when I thought about it, I guess I should have figured you might be around- if only to ride a UP CoLAish consist!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds