Bambi cuts it close . . .

Larry W. Grant
(olddude41)
Dallas, Texas

Date: 11/10/19 16:36
Re: Big Boy almost had venison for supper today in East Texas
Author: Bucyrus-Erie

Cool catch by the camera!

(It's the height of the rut [mating season]. Bucks are crazy with love, and do stupid stuff ... like get run over.)

Jim Lee
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Date: 11/10/19 17:50
Author: hawkinsun

Yep,  they get hit all the time by me.   Usually in the winter when the snow is deep in the woods, but plowed on the tracks.  They often try to outrun the train instead of simply stepping aside.   I just picked a 4x5 buck off the tracks about a week ago.  Nothing left to salvage but the horns and some meat for the eagles.   A moose in the same place last winter that I saved, and half the neighborhood is feasting on that.  Legal to salvage off the road in Idaho, but not the tracks.  I don't care, I'm safety first,  can't stand the waste, and don't want the stink in my front yard.

Craig Hanson
Vay, Idaho.  on the SIRy/UP

Date: 11/10/19 17:51
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Jackalope chased for a piece - 0.35-0.40.

Date: 11/10/19 21:09
Author: yankingeorgia

I nearly took out two who shot across the road in front of my Ford Escape this afternoon. Don't know how I didn't clip the second one. I hit the brakes and waited for the sound of impact but thank heavens it never came. The second deer disappeared from view when it was even with my right headlight. It was practically under the car. Then I saw it dashing up the embankment to my right, hot on the tail of its partner. About 10 minutes later I was able to re-swallow my heart, which had been in my throat the whole time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/19 05:51 by yankingeorgia.

Date: 11/11/19 06:17
Author: Spikes

Oh deer...on the tracks....RUN Buddy! ......from wrongwaymurphy video.

Date: 11/11/19 09:43
Author: snoopy51

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Now what would you do if this was your CHILD.?

ADELAIDE  Australia

Date: 11/11/19 12:40
Author: snoopy51

I am trying to say to ALL RAIL FANS.
That when you are out there I hope your family are safe,,,
And the child don't try to cross the tracks to be with daddy.
who has gone over the tracks to get a better angle shot.?? 

Date: 11/11/19 17:04
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Early 1970s C&O/B&O/WM (forgot which) made ground beef when train ran into a tunnel full of cattle.

Date: 11/11/19 18:32
Author: wabash2800

That reminds me of the story told in one of the train mags some years ago. I think it might have been in RF&RR. It was told by railroader who worked for N&W in Ohio. The article had the word "Bowvine" in the title but I can't remember the full title.

Anyway, the train crew was notified by another train up ahead that they had hit a cow and it was laying on their track and that they should watch for it. Well, they approached the said location and sure enough there was a cow in the right-of-way. So they stopped. The guy that wrote the story tried to convince some of his crew members to help him shove it off the right-of-way. No takers. So he went out by himself and just as he grabbed onto the cow, the engineer layed on the horn and this guy jumps out his skin. But that wasn't the whole story as the cow was not dead but stunned and got up and trotted away from the right-of-way! It was a funny story and I probably didn't do it justice. It must have been the talk of the RR for a while.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 11/11/19 22:03
Author: hawkinsun

This reminds me of the time I got a phone call at 04:39.  That time is burned in my memory.  I answered the call, and said to whoever was on the other end, "This Better be Good".  He said Hi this is Walt Yetter an engineer on the UP.   Well you said you might want some venison.  He said I just went by your house and head shot a buck for you.  He tried to beat the train and we think we just bonked him in the head with the plow.   Still groggy, I suited up and headed down the track with flashlight in hand.  Finally, in the heavy fog, I  got there  and found him laying in the weeds.  I reached in my pocket for my knife, and not five feet from him, he stood up with only one antler, looking right at me.  An OH CHIT moment.  I slowly backed away and off he went.  I found his other broken off antler, which I still have.  

Sad how many critters get hit and wasted on the tracks every year.

Oh, the fun we have up here in Vay, Idaho

Craig Hanson. on the SIRy/UP

Date: 11/12/19 06:25
Author: daylightfan

Here's proof that stupid white tail deer will jump in front of anything lol

Date: 11/12/19 17:49
Author: ProAmtrak

Bucyrus-Erie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cool catch by the camera!
>
> (It's the height of the rut . Bucks are crazy with
> love, and do stupid stuff ... like get run over.)
>
> Jim Lee
> Lake Hopatcong, NJ

They always liked living on the edge! 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds