Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Steam & Excursion > The General route back in 1962

Date: 11/19/19 21:39
The General route back in 1962
Author: superfleet

I wondered if someone knows where I can find the route that the General 4-4-0 steam loco took back in 1961/1962 when it was out and about to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Great Locomoitve Chase.  I know the engine is safely tucked away in a museum today, but I saw a steam engine similar to it here in Wichita when I was a young lad, I am trying to determine if it was the General or if it was the ATSF steam loco as I believe it too was out and about in the 1960's.....

Thanks,

Dan in Wichita

Date: 11/20/19 06:14
Re: The General route back in 1962
Author: Frisco1522

I don't know the route, but I saw and "chased" it here in St. Louis back then.

Date: 11/20/19 08:32
Author: 41bridge

Saw it in high school at the PRR station, Steubenville, OH, on the Spirit of St. Louis route. Here's an article I found that gives the story of the trip as well as the history of the loco. It doesn't give the exact route but does give a rough outline. It covered a lot of territory and was seen by many.

http://digitalcommons.kennesaw.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1196&context=amj

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/19 08:41 by 41bridge.

Date: 11/20/19 12:58
Author: hawkinsun

I saw the General at the ElectroMotive Diesel plant at La Grange, Illinois.  It was a big open house, and I think I remember the General being up on a flatcar.  I've got photos somewhere in my stuff.  That sounds like the right time period.

Craig Hanson
Vay, Idaho 

Date: 11/20/19 13:20
Author: Jimbo

Didn't the General stick to L&N rails for the first year?  1962?  After that it seems like it ventured off-line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/19 14:49 by Jimbo.

Date: 11/20/19 14:42
Author: NKP779

It visited points on the NKP. Will see what I can dig up

Posted from Android

Date: 11/22/19 09:56
Author: cewherry

superfleet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wondered if someone knows where I can find the
> route that the General 4-4-0 steam loco took back
> in 1961/1962 when it was out and about to
> commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Great
> Locomoitve Chase.  I know the engine is safely
> tucked away in a museum today, but I saw a steam
> engine similar to it here in Wichita when I was a
> young lad, I am trying to determine if it was the
> General or if it was the ATSF steam loco as I
> believe it too was out and about in the
> 1960's.....

The July 1962 issue of Trains magazine has an extensive article by editor David Morgan about the original 
story of the General, its rebuilding and re-enactment of the chase on April 14, 1962. Lots of details.
As to the route General took in 1962 between Atlanta and Chattanooga the article specifically mentions that
the local fire departments of Marietta, Cartersville, Calhoun, Dalton and Ringgold were called upon to provide
water for the engine. I'm no authority about whose tracks it traveled over in 1962 or who owns the route today.
Others will have to help in that regard but I think it's safe to say General did not venture out to Wichita in 1961 or '62.

Charlie   

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/19 12:41 by cewherry.

Date: 11/22/19 15:56
Author: wabash2800

Based on photos that I have seen it was photographed under steam as far north as Chicago on the Chicago & Eastern Illinois and as far east as Fostoria, Ohio on the Nickel Plate.  Of course, that is just based only what I have seen. How much of that journey it traveled under its own power or on its own wheels I don't know. If you could put together a well researched article (with a map) with photos of it in operation in 1962, that would be an interesting read in one of the railroad rags.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edit: I see based on 41bridge's post above it ventured on the PRR and at least as far east as Steubenville, Ohio...

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/19 16:33 by wabash2800.

Date: 11/24/19 15:33
Author: MaryMcPherson

It's a pretty safe bet that getting from Nashville to St. Louis took it to Evansville, Indiana, and then on to St. Louis via Mt. Vernon and Ashley.  Today, the former L&N St. Louis line is removed between Oakawville and East St. Louis, with the remainder operated by the Evansville Western.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 12/07/19 10:46
Author: steamloco

It was in Alexandria Virginia at one time.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds