Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Steam & Excursion > Another Miniature Train At A City Zoo Flies Off The Track

Date: 11/26/19 23:23
Another Miniature Train At A City Zoo Flies Off The Track
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

I wasn't sure what category to file this under; I guess "Steam & Excursion" comes closest.

I hope it wasn't a case of the operator going around a curve too fast, as has been the case in several other similar instances.

Expect insurance premiums for this type of thing to go up yet again.

No wonder Portland, OR has little enthusiasm about rebuilding and expanding their operation.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2019/11/26/1-injured-when-mini-train-derails-at-central-florida-zoo-in-sanford/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/19 23:24 by CA_Sou_MA_Agent.

Date: 11/27/19 00:59
Re: Another Miniature Train At A City Zoo Flies Off The Track
Author: ClubCar

From what I understand, these types of operations are insured in the same manner as carnival rides, not as a railroad.  Carnival rides have become very expensive to insure in modern times and in most states they are constantly inspected by state officials.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 11/27/19 07:54
Author: CPRR

Trains do not fly off the tracks by themselves. I would suspect speed was a problem 

Date: 11/27/19 08:07
Author: callum_out

Liability has become a major issue. There's a really nice park railroad in St George UT which until recently has been run
totally by volunteers. The city "fired" everyone and it's now a city employee run facility and of course, guess who trained
the city guys!

Out

Date: 11/27/19 09:31
Author: miniempire

From the Orlando Sentinel Web Site: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-sanford-zoo-mini-train-derail-20191126-jwulqncwajdalb3brry2zmic6q-story.html

"Flying" may be a bit of an overstatement, appears to be the last car on the train that derailed to the inside of a curve.

Date: 11/27/19 10:26
Author: OldPorter

Oh well- when I tried to "Click Orlando" at that outside site- it wouldn't let me read even that one article
unless I gave them my email, and "signed up." I'm sure everyone here has had that happen. So- I couldn't
read the article. The consensus is that overspeed was involved? My old childhood mini train (by the San Diego Zoo)
is still running strong (on weekends mainly) and it's a wonderful Ride. The Zoo is pretty fine, too.

Happy Thanksgiving, to all the TO Members.

Date: 11/27/19 11:14
Author: Harlock

Accidents are usually the result of a chain of failures.   Often with park trains it is a combination of improper training, lack of maintenance, excess speed, or a combination of all three.  I would not speculate on this one until the findings are out.

Regulations vary from state to state, but most public-hauling, for-profit park trains over 7.5" gauge are subject to amusement device rules and inspections, typically annually.

Each new accident does have an affect on insurance, so I tend to keep a close eye on these incidents.  The subject line for this thread does not help, it is sensationalist and inflammatory in my opinion. 

-Mike

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 11/27/19 12:00
Author: cbnoble

If the one link is giving you problems, here's one to one of the other local sites

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2019/11/26/guests-hospitalized-mini-train-derails-central-florida-zoo

Date: 11/28/19 08:33
Author: BAB

CPRR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Trains do not fly off the tracks by themselves. I
> would suspect speed was a problem 

Glad we have the guessing game going but there are many reasons for any trian to derail.  That is just one way I operate my train and others on 7.5" gauge track so kind of know quite a bit about these things hate to see this make the news.  The insurace on amusement park railroads is very high thats why we do not provide paid rides all is done by donation which is optional for the ride. This so far has kept us out of that area and hope it continues to do so.. 

Date: 11/28/19 08:36

miniempire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From the Orlando Sentinel Web
> Site: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaki
> ng-news/os-ne-sanford-zoo-mini-train-derail-201911
> 26-jwulqncwajdalb3brry2zmic6q-story.html
>
> "Flying" may be a bit of an overstatement, appears
> to be the last car on the train that derailed to
> the inside of a curve.
>  
Figured so the people who write for the news medial really are sharp on things, just like when an aircraft crashes so glad it doesnt tail dive into the ground or isnt a Piper Cub.  Reporting like this get one into the lawer reporting area they feed off of.

Date: 11/28/19 08:43

Yes Mike we know only too well dont we about the problems we have to deal with just to try and give rides.  Two of the things I do is one being an engineer, mechanic and conductor at Klamath and Western Railroad Chiloquin OR and the other which is even more demanding of safety when running it is the Thomas train in Medford OR where the kids are almost always under ten years old and sometimes even under a year. That demands very careful running and have never had one injury over the last eight years there. Boyd in Chiloquin OR waiting for the bird to arrive.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0625 seconds