Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Steam & Excursion > Next stop Scrappers torch!! Not in this case!

Date: 12/04/19 16:28
Next stop Scrappers torch!! Not in this case!
Author: slacks

A scene like this in the early 50,s or 60,s would lead to the usual ending for retired steamers, a date with the torch. But this year is 1982 and the last of NSW 0-8-0,s have been shoved onto an old CNW siding near Sterling Ill. I grabbed this shot thinking I would never see then again. However I believe that most if not all of them survived. They are scattered around the country but not sure where, the numbers on the sides were almost non readable. 

Date: 12/04/19 18:02
Re: Next stop Scrappers torch!! Not in this case!
Author: Spoony81

One of them is still in the woods just west of Sterling. IRM got one or two and another is on display in downtown Sterling. Not sure on the others

Dropped pin
Near Hopkins Township, IL
https://goo.gl/maps/uyKqSqzwJRNPGeVS7

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/19 18:03 by Spoony81.

Date: 12/04/19 18:15
Author: callum_out

One is parked on the front lawn of a home in Geneva NE.

Out

Date: 12/04/19 18:25
Author: gregscholl

Was lucky enough to make 2 road trips up there, one in 1968 and the other in 1969.  Got 2-3 engines working each time.  Limited access, and some of the security guards looked like pirates!!!
Greg

Date: 12/04/19 18:44
Author: LIL_BUDDY

5 or 6 of the engines from the west end (rear in photo) were traded as scrap by IRM in exchange for CB&Q 4963

Posted from Android

Date: 12/04/19 20:40
Author: rrman6

Was the white paint on the edge of all locos walkways really that clean or is this a camera 'thing'?  

Date: 12/04/19 21:21
Author: wpjones

Thats the one that belongs to Ken Marks. I think it might be #74. Not sure. Theres an ex CB&Q combine with it.  It's in front of a small factory where they still make miniuture windmill kits. Theres also the legs of a water tower he saved in Iowa and was setting up to live in near by.
I also think zoohogger might have sound recordings of one of these still opperating at the steel plant.
Steve

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One is parked on the front lawn of a home in
> Geneva NE.
>
> Out

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/19 21:31 by wpjones.

Date: 12/04/19 22:37
Author: SD45X

He was talking of Westcliff CO interested in it for display. Not a correct display. Just a steam engine. That was last year.

Date: 12/06/19 04:06
Author: PlyWoody

I also remember their request to find a locomotive for display at Westcliff, CO but I never discovered one for sale that would be right to suggest to them.  Their quest has been unfilled for many years.

Date: 12/06/19 20:13
Author: MP4093

Must be what I found coming through Nebraska this summer. It took me by suprise, had to turn around and go see if it really was a steam loco, wondered what the story was.

Date: 12/06/19 20:20
Author: MP4093

Could this be the first one in the line? Just noted it has many similar features from this angle.

Date: 12/06/19 20:37
Author: Spoony81

MP4093 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could this be the first one in the line? Just
> noted it has many similar features from this
> angle.

The first one on line is #74 and earlier in the thread that was the one that was speculated ended up in Nebraska

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/07/19 18:33
Author: 57A26

One of the engines is on display in Independence Iowa.  They have it displayed next to the old IC depot last I knew.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0547 seconds