Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Steam & Excursion > As It Turns Out, More Than One Locomotive Wore This Famous Name!

Date: 12/11/19 03:10
As It Turns Out, More Than One Locomotive Wore This Famous Name!
Author: LoggerHogger

In the last couple years, many people have become acquainted with Baldwin's famous 2-4-4-2 that bears the Salish Indian name Skookum.  This locomotive's story has been told many times since the project was finally completed on the Oregon Coast Scenic RR.

However, loggers of the highball days of steam logging, were well aware of this name and the fact that it's lose translation was "Big & Strong".  For this reason, the name "Skookum" appeared on a variety of logging machinery and equipment, and, as it turns out, at least one more Baldwin logging locomotive as we see here.

This early Baldwin example of a logging 2-4-2T was caught in the woods soon after her delivery from Baldwin's Eddystone, PA factory.  She appears to be set up to burn either wood or coal that is held in her short 4-wheel tender.  Here lettering can't be fully made out, but we do see "PS&GH...". This is for the Puget Sound & Grays Harbor RR in New Kamilche, Washington.

Here crew appears to be quite proud of her and the name she was given at the factory.  While this locomotive and this engine are long ago lost to the ages, the name Skookum does indeed live on today.

Martin

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/19 08:27 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 12/11/19 07:33
Re: As It Turns Out, More Than One Locomotive Wore This Famous Na
Author: BAB

Thanks its no supprise that you would have these facts that I have never heard about. Another great post Martin.

Date: 12/11/19 08:15
Author: fehorse1

Martin,
The railroad is the Puget Sound & Grays Harbor.RR out of New Kamilche.built in 1885.  Another Skookum was built in 1888 by Porter for the Puget Sound & Cherhalis Valley RR out of Mud Bay.  See an upcoming article of mine about these two Skookums in the Gazette Magazine.
Pete

Date: 12/11/19 08:26

Thanks Pete.  I look forward to your article.  I assume you already had this photo - right?

Martin

Date: 12/11/19 08:57

No, I don't have this photo.  I've been working with Green Diamond to get this photo for some time now, but so far no luck!  Will keep you posted on this one.

Date: 12/11/19 09:03

Pete,

I have this on a glass plate.

Martin

Date: 12/11/19 09:33
Author: hawkinsun

What a beauty of a little locomotive.  Great photo and a good story to go with it.   One of my favorite pulley blocks has the name "Skookum" cast into it.  I use it all the time.

thanks again Martin

Craig Hanson
Vay, Idaho

Date: 12/11/19 12:52

Martin,
If that's the case, mayber you should send me a print.
Pete

Date: 12/12/19 10:44
Author: MP4093

Martin did it once have a "short 4 wheel tender" when new? In the photo it appears to be a 2 truck flatcar with stake panel sides on the loco end.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds