Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Steam & Excursion > What happened to E.J. Lavino #34?

Date: 12/11/19 18:12
What happened to E.J. Lavino #34?
Author: FiveString

While looking through some of my slides I came across a photo I took of 0-6-0T E.J. Lavino #34 at the Roanoke Transportation Museum when it was still in Wasena Park in Roanoke, VA.  The photo was taken during Labor Day weekend 1982.

Steamlocomotive.com says this locomotive still belongs to the VMT in Roanoke.  I have been to the Virginia Museum of Transportation several times this year and last, and did not see this loco in their displayed collection, nor did anyone I spoke with know of its current whereabouts.

Does anyone here know what happened to this locomotive?  Does it still exist?  If so, where is it kept now?  Does anyone have a more recent photo?

With its attractive, compact, husky design and manageable size, I think this would be an interesting locomotive for a tourist railroad or even an itinerant program to operate. 

Thanks for any information,

Todd Mullens
Morgantown, WV

Date: 12/11/19 22:21
Re: What happened to E.J. Lavino #34?
Author: Evan_Werkema

Steamlocomotive.info shows it in storage at the Roanoke Industrial Center, and Google Maps does show a very rusty tank engine with similar lines there:

https://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=1233
https://goo.gl/maps/LhD4tRT2PeNyPAobA
https://goo.gl/maps/34uHxqDA5AaDhdBa9

Date: 12/12/19 03:59
Author: Keystone1

Why is it there, and not a the museum?

Date: 12/12/19 18:25
Author: burlingtonjohn

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why is it there, and not a the museum?

I'll hazard a guess.  Money and available space?

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 12/12/19 18:55
Author: Keystone1

No room for the shortest locomotive in the collection?

Date: 12/13/19 03:59
Author: FiveString

Thank you Evan_Werkema for the information regarding the whereabouts of this locomotive.  I was not aware of the Industrial Park storage yard for VMT.  It looks as though some of the other "Lost Engines of Roanoke" equipment is there as well.  When you follow the street view around the corner you can still glimpse the (lavender) blue paint on the North side of the locomotive so that's likely it.  At a light weight of nearly 80 tons, its probably too heavy to move around easily over the road, so that future would seem unlikely,  but it's still a chunky, self contained, interesting engine that could conceivably work for a tourist railroad.  

Some interesting things about this loco.  The home-made looking clerestory cupola over the the cab.  The water fill splitter to fill both saddle tanks simultaneously.  The difficult forward view around those saddle tanks.  What appears to be Stephenson or similar valve gear on a 1923 Baldwin switcher.

Thanks again for the information!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0439 seconds