Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Steam & Excursion > A bit of NP steam

Date: 01/20/20 19:17
A bit of NP steam
Author: odub

Seems like a good time for some Northern Pacific steam (that is, I've come to some NP negs in Elmer's little book of negatives). These are all from the early 1950s although I don't have an exact date.NP 1667 Class W-1 Mikado Paradise MT, built 1910. Looking to the right of the locomotive are a long string of loaded log cars. To the left of the loco is a sign indicating the locos heavier than w-3 class mikados need are restricted. Paradise is in the middle of some of the best fly fishing in the US (or so I'm told). Used to have several lumber operations including an NP owned tie mill. The railroad through Paradise in now operated by the Montana Rail Link. I believe a local still runs out of Paradise.Don Hall, Yreka, CAPhotos Elmer K. Hall, my collection

Date: 01/20/20 19:18
Re: A bit of NP steam
Author: odub

NP 5137 Z-8 Challenger near Missoula, MT. Built by Alco in 1943 during a period when railroads were prohibited from creating new designs, a number of roads used the UP challenger type to fill war needs - NP being one of them.  UPDATE: Dave from Missoula pointed out below that the Z-8 isn't anywhere near Missoula.  He got me checking Elmer's notes and I find that I goofed it.  Turns out this is the 5104 and the notes say it's near Glendive.  Thanks, Dave. 

Built in 1918 by Alco, NP 1791 class W-3 Mikado Superior, WI, is seen here working the Allouez Bay Iron Ore Docks.Photos Elmer K. Hall, my collection

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/20 17:20 by odub.

Date: 01/21/20 03:51
Author: refarkas

Interesting photos. My favorite is the image of the NP Challenger. 
Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/20 03:51 by refarkas.

Date: 01/21/20 05:05
Author: steamfan759

The NP is a popular road for builder's plate collectors.  The NP was one of those roads who made plates available for collectors and many were saved.  I am enclosing photos from NP 2-8-2  #1682 and #1708.  The NP had a large fleet of 2-8-2's and I have seen or handled many of these plates.  These two plates still appear just like they came of their respective locomotives!

Ron

Date: 01/21/20 07:40
Author: spdaylight

Nice to see some NP steam  . . never see enough!

Craig
mcmrailvideos.com

Date: 01/21/20 08:58
Author: dougd

It is interesting both NP and UP named a loco class    Challenger----which RR company used that name first?

Date: 01/21/20 09:12
Author: HotWater

dougd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is interesting both NP and UP named a loco
> class    Challenger----which RR company used
> that name first?

The UP, as they were the very first railroad to help design and purchase 4-6-6-4 locomotives.

Date: 01/21/20 12:44
Author: OSWishram

Can someone knowledgable about NP steam please confirm or deny the NP used the term "Challenger"?

My understanding is the SP&S - The North Bank Road - did NOT use that name, referring to them rather as "Mallets."

Inquiring minds want to know.

Bob Willer

Date: 01/21/20 12:53
Author: monaddave

Thanks for the NP views!

odub Wrote:
<< believe a local still runs out of Paradise<<

No locals based out of Paradise at this time and it has been that way for several years. MRL's Gas Locals serve the local customers.

<<NP 5137 Z-8 Challenger near Missoula, MT>>

I can tell you that is not near Missoula (need a few mountains around the fringes), and more likely somewhere along the Yellowstone Valley east of Livingston.
Dave in Missoula

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0799 seconds