Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Steam & Excursion > Photos Of This Steam Railroad In Action Are Unusually Rare!

Date: 02/10/20 03:14
Photos Of This Steam Railroad In Action Are Unusually Rare!
Author: LoggerHogger

Considering the fact that the Deep Creek Railroad was built in 1916 as a 46-mile long subsidiary of the Western Pacific stretching from Wendoover, Nevada all the way to Gold Hill, Utah, and that it ran for just over 20 years, one would think there would be more than just a handful of photos of the line in operation.  However, such photos have proven to be rare indeed.

Built to serve the mining district around Gold Hill, this would lead to the typical boom and bust cycle that many mining railroads experienced.  By 1938, when the railroad finally quit, there were only about 500 people along it's entire route.  This was a result of the mines closing for good in Gold Hill.

With such a meager demand for it's services, the Deep Creek RR had only 2 steam locomotives during its 21-year operating career.  Both of these were 1880's vintage engines from the D&RG.  #1 was a 4-6-0 while #2 that we see here was a 2-8-0.

In this view, we see Deep Creek RR #2 about to depart the shops in Wendover for one of her last trips to Gold Hill.  The date is July 20, 1938 and time is running out.  On July 1, 1939 just a year later,  the railroad will receive permission from the ICC to abandon the entire line.

Soon there would be no more chances to capture the Deep Creek Railroad on film.

Martin

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/20 12:37 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 02/10/20 07:29
Re: Photos Of This Steam Railroad In Action Are Unusually Rare!
Author: czuleget

And I bet all the rail and plates and assorted hardware was used in the up coming war effort. 

Date: 02/10/20 08:22
Author: atsf121

Nice photo, I’m surprised there are any photos for a line that was out in the middle of nowhere. It’s amazing how many railroad lines there used to be that are now hazy memories, thanks for keeping them alive.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/10/20 08:24
Author: callum_out

Be a good bet considering it ran next to an Air Force base. There are any number of abandoned railroads in Nevada
when viewed today one would ask why they were built. 

Out 

Date: 02/10/20 09:24
Author: PHall

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Be a good bet considering it ran next to an Air
> Force base. There are any number of abandoned
> railroads in Nevada
> when viewed today one would ask why they were
> built. 
>
> Out 

The base didn't exist until 1940 and didn't become an Army Airfield until 1942.

Date: 02/10/20 10:03
Author: zephyrus

What a fantastic shot.  I've been researching the Deep Creek on and off for over 15 years and Martin is dead right about the dearth of photos.  But they still keep trickling out.  Most are taken in Wendover, a majority either at the WP roundhouse or the depot, with a handful in Gold Hill.  I think I have seen only 3 along the line and those all during construction years.  

If I have my bearings correct, we're just east of the WP shops looking roughly west and the 2 is on a yard lead.  If she is departing to head to Gold Hill, the train will likely turn on the wye that, IIRC, was located just east of town, then return to the yard to pick up any cars, if there are any are heading south.

The combine would survive the abandonment and be purchased by a group in the Oakland, CA area.  It would sit in small yard off the Sacramento Northern near Temescal for a few years before being salvaged for WWII support.

Thanks for posting Martin!  Would love to see some more Deep Creek images.

Z

Date: 02/10/20 10:48
Author: sagehen

Checked the topo maps for the Gold Hill, Utah area.  Gold Hill is up a draw in the Deep Creek Range, about 1,000 vertical feet above the salt flats and Wendover.  Must have been quite a pull for those two little old D&RG locomotives.

Stan Praisewater

Date: 02/10/20 12:02
Author: zephyrus

Even in its busiest year, the Deep Creek probably rarely hauled a train longer than a dozen or so cars.  1920 was the road's highest tonnage year and it probably hauled 1,600-1,800 carloads running 6 days a week.

In its last decade or so, running once a week, it still probably didn't handle more than 3-4 cars max, plus the combine.

Here is a map of the track arrangement around Gold Hill as best as I can reconstruct it from descriptions and topographic maps, plus walking the right of way myself several years ago.

Also breakdowns of finances, tonnage and other metrics by year.

Z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/20 12:03 by zephyrus.

Date: 02/10/20 13:33
Author: callum_out

Excellent map and charts, somewhat amazing you've been able to compile what you have. Mr. Hall's comment on the air field
is interesting in that my recollection was that it was in service much longer.

Out 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0603 seconds