Home Open Account Help 396 users online

Steam & Excursion > Heritage steam paint/washing

Date: 02/26/20 12:26
Heritage steam paint/washing
Author: JP86

So I got asked by a coworker how often do steam locomotives today need to be painted? Do they get washed before every outing? I told him that I assume that they get repainted after a 1472 day inspection but that I wasn’t sure.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/26/20 12:53
Re: Heritage steam paint/washing
Author: HotWater

JP86 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I got asked by a coworker how often do steam
> locomotives today need to be painted? Do they get
> washed before every outing?

Yes, i.e. washed prior to every outing, plus washed during one day layovers, enroute.

I told him that I
> assume that they get repainted after a 1472 day
> inspection but that I wasn’t sure.

Correct. 

Date: 02/26/20 13:24
Author: wcamp1472

Or a change in the decorating scheme...😄

I'm not sure what's permitted in today's world, but it's an epoxy-like
paint product, by DuPont, called 'Imron' ---- it has two parts, mixed
at the spray gun....and hardens to a nearly impervious, hard finish.
The finish retains its gloss, remains shiny, and is very easy to wash.
Its resistant to most strong detergents, and does not crack or peal, as 
opposed to cheaper types of paint.

In loco use, it's the best stuff to use...unless the crew keeps changing 
their desired color scheme.  I prefer it because of its ease to clean, shine
and sparkle... Very weather resistant..

Check local and state regulations --- in compliance with environmental
or health concerns, some jurisdictions have banned , or regulated its
application,  others, not so much. 

Be sure to use the mixing chemicals continually, once you start ----
and don't let it harden in the 'gun'...
Or, you'll be buying more new application guns and equipment..

Once applied, its unmistakable from other, cheaper 'paints' --
It is as bright after10 years in the elements,  washings and scrubbings
as the day it was when applied.

W.

Date: 02/26/20 14:00
Author: Frisco1522

We used a US Paint equivilent to Imron on 1522 and it looks great to this day.   Used it the first time around and then at the first overhaul repainted with it.  First time around we had a finicky guy who didn't like marks or scratches and would touch them up with a rattle can of Rustoleum.  The Rustoleam dulled in no time and looked like hell.  Also the first painted insisted on using a clearcoat which was also a disaster after a while when it started peeling.   We took the finicky one's Rustoleum away and forbade clearcoat the second paint job which was done by a great crew from an auto body repair who really knew their stuff.
Fo the lettering, I used a two part clear and mixed bronze powder in it and it still looks great.
Use the best paint, if any touchup is needed, mix a small batch of the original and shoot anyone who wants to spritz rattle can paint.
Imron and it's equivilents are expensive, but then so is using cheap crap and painting every two years.  You get what you pay for.

Date: 02/26/20 15:39
Author: Bob3985

When I was on the crew we used Imron paint on the locomotives along with Scotchcal decals. 
The paints came from Pupont and PPG.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 02/26/20 16:07
Author: EMD2024

Don- I thought we used Floquil paint and Champ decals on 1522...am I remembering wrong?

MWPerkins
ex-1522 grunt

Posted from Android

Date: 02/26/20 16:22
Author: LarryDoyle

I don't know what the LSRM used for painting, nor do I know what is the repainting schedule, but I do know the daily cleaning schedule.

Each morning after fireup and putting our train together we pull up to the depot platform where we load passengers, and put up a blue flag.  After yesterdays run and overnight bank the engine is, despite its fine paint job, generally filthy.

As passengers are ticketed they may tour our museum (have you ever touched a Yellowstone?) or be herded to a safe "cattle pen" where they may observe our final preps.  By this time the "honey wagon" has already done it's thing for yesterdays passengers (so todays passengers don't get to 'enjoy' that as part of their experience*), but a crew does come by with a power washer and extension brooms and does both sides of the train.  At this time the fireman uses the squirt hose to dampen the coal pile (to decrease dust trailing back over the train), and washes up the cab interior.  The powerwasher crew also does a great job to make the engine shine, but somehow manages to forget to ask us to close the cab windows so the windows can be cleaned.  Gotta pay attention - situational awareness.  I still havn't figured out a way to 'get back at them' if I'm not giving them my full attention.

-LD

*  If you really want this to be part of your experience contact me.  It can be arranged.

Date: 02/26/20 16:52
Author: JP86

Now what are the firebox/smoke box surfaces covered in?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/26/20 17:12

JP86 Wrote:
> Now what are the firebox/smoke box surfaces
> covered in?
>

As part of the engine crew, we don't descriminate.  We put on the same soot and dirt as the rest of the engine.

-LD

Date: 02/26/20 17:15
Author: HotWater

JP86 Wrote:
> Now what are the firebox/smoke box surfaces
> covered in?

Mostly high temperature paint.

Date: 02/27/20 06:09

Dammit Mike you were supposed to keep that to yourself.

Date: 02/27/20 06:11

HotWater Wrote:
> JP86 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Now what are the firebox/smoke box surfaces
> > covered in?
>
> Mostly high temperature paint.
I used a mix of graphite powder, steam oil and mineral spirits on 1522.  I bought a washing wand from Grainger and instead of spraying solvent, sprayed the graphite on.  Usually just before we fired up or even when she was hot.  Otherwise it would stay slimy until the heat.

Date: 02/27/20 07:34
Author: Arved

I have read that oil and graphite were frequently used on the smoke and fire boxes of steam locomotives, but as much of an amateur triboligist as I am, I never gave much thought to the oils used on a steam locomotive.

It makes a lot of sense to me that a special oil that can withstand high heat and humidity would be used as a cylinder lubricant - steam oil. Is steam oil also used to lubricate the running gear?

When the oil burns off, does the graphite make a mess of everything that comes into contact with it?

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 02/27/20 08:38

Arved Wrote:

> It makes a lot of sense to me that a special oil
> that can withstand high heat and humidity would be
> used as a cylinder lubricant - steam oil. Is steam
> oil also used to lubricate the running gear?

Several oils and greases are used.  Here are some examples - your engine will vary from this, but typically all of this will be inspected and lubed at least daily
- Steam Oil, also called valve oil - superheated engines use different oil than saturated engines.  Don't forget the stoker engine if so equipped, and firedoor piston, hinges, treadle, and other moving parts
- Air compressor steam oil - may be same as above, depending upon whether superheated steam is used in compressor.  Also may differ for whether lubricated by mechanical or hydrostatic method
- Air compressor air oil
- "Journal oil" - general purpose for most moving parts not otherwise provided for.  Journal bearings (don't forget inside bearings of engine trucks), inside Stephenson motion, crossheads and guides, running gear, spring hangers and equalizers, driving box wedges and shoes, perhaps siderods unless provided for with grease fittings
- Soft grease - perhaps siderods unless oiled, perhaps sliding shoes of firebox supports.  Inside Stephenson motion may be soft greased rather than oiled
- Hard grease - usually siderods
- Cake grease - driving axle bearings (may be oiled instead, depending upon the rr's preferences)  (Roller bearings different)
>
> When the oil burns off, does the graphite make a
> mess of everything that comes into contact with
> it?

No, it's baked on.

-LD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0803 seconds