Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Steam & Excursion > Could you help me when they were taken?

Date: 02/26/20 14:11
Could you help me when they were taken?
Author: Ardenwood

I forgot to write the dates of these shots.  Any help will be appreciated.  I think some of these ware tsaken in 1989.
Picture 1. UP8444 in the Deshutes Canyon, Oregon.
Picture 2. SP4449 just inside California
Picture 3. UP844 in Nevada?

Date: 02/26/20 14:40
Re: Could you help me when they were taken?
Author: 2ebright

I think #3 was taken at Sinclair, Wyoming. Looks like it was from the highway overpass at the east end of town looking east. I can't help with the date.

Dick Ebright
Roosevelt, Utah

Date: 02/26/20 15:02
Author: Keystone1

I think #2 was taken at Werden, Oregon.

Date: 02/26/20 15:27
Author: Prophoto

Whereever No.@ was taken, it is a fabulous photograph. 

Date: 02/26/20 15:53
Author: Bob3985

It appears to me that in the third photo the locomotive has X8444 in its train indicator and I believe this trip was in the late 1970's. 
I'm not sure about the location but if looking east from Sinclair I don't see the signals for the Benton Crossover.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 02/26/20 16:59
Author: 2ebright

In defense of my previous post regarding the location of Photo #3  I submit this photo that I took from that overpass on the east side of Sinclair Wyoming on September 23, 2010. The far mountains, the fence line on the south side of the tracks as well as the pole line arm sticking out in the bottom right of my photo look like the posters photo to me. Now, I realize that being in opposition to Bob Krieger, carries with it some risk, but I still think that the posted shot was looking east from Sinclair, Wyoming. If I am later proved wrong, I will immediately get down on one knee and apologize to Bob Krieger.       Dick Ebright, Roosevelt, Utah

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/20 17:00 by 2ebright.

Date: 02/26/20 18:09
Author: Bob3985

Dick is therefore correct as this is the same location. I thought the approach double headed signal for the Benton crossovers was closer to east Sinclair but evidently not.
I was trying to figure that out and I thank you for this correction.
I am not an icon and haven't been out there for 18 years.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/20 18:10 by Bob3985.

Date: 02/26/20 20:42
Author: Hillcrest

Sorry Mr. Krieger, you are an Icon whether you like it or not! You are The Voice of Reason and a steadying force in the sometimes crazy world of UP Steam. Your experience is most appreciated.

der Beifall, Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/20 20:42 by Hillcrest.

Date: 02/27/20 06:26
Author: gregscholl

The first one is the trip from Portland to Bend in the spring of 1989.  The 8444 had gone to Los Angeles for the LAUPT 50th anniversary deal, and came in with 4449 side by side.  Afterwards they raced up Cajon Pass.  8444 went to Ogden then up to Portland, where it ran this trip as a fund-raiser for the Portland Symphany.  The location I believe is called Twin Bridges, as they area upcoming behind the photographer.  I think I was pretty close to you here.

The 4449 was taken early, on its second day from Portland to Los Angeles for the LAUPT thing.  It overnighted in Klamath Falls and this was the next morning.  It was a great reflection shot.  I may have used your shot on my video cover.  My wife was taking slides, and Kodak lost that roll!!!  After that scene at Warden we raced to Black Butte where I got a cab ride on 4449 to Dunsmuir.  Thanks to Doyle and Jack for that.

After the 8444 Portland to Bend Trip the train began its 1200 mile trip back to Cheyenne.  We were heading to Ohio so we chased the whole thing.  It was the last time the engine was numbered 8444.

Too much info, right?

Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Date: 02/27/20 06:55
Author: Railbaron

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think #2 was taken at Werden, Oregon.

Worden, OR

Date: 02/27/20 11:09
Author: Ardenwood

Thank you for your help. 
I do remember this shot was after the LAUPT50 but was not sure 8444's Deshutes shot was before or after.
Picture 4. was shot when I panicked that the orange engine was hidden behind the smoke of 8444. I l ater found out there was a helicopter.
Thank you again for your help. Haruo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0694 seconds