Home Open Account Help 396 users online

Steam & Excursion > Shoving back to Chama after helping OY

Date: 03/31/20 19:53
Shoving back to Chama after helping OY
Author: spider1319

Because of the prohibition against two engines together between Cumbres and Chama in a westward movement ,the OY consist was split at Cumbres and the 484 and outfit cars returned separately on March 1 .The rotary OY and 487 were soon to follow the 484 pictured below at Dalton with the Chama Valley in the background.Bill Webb

Date: 03/31/20 20:10
Re: Shoving back to Chama after helping OY
Author: RuleG

That's an amazing photo!

Date: 03/31/20 20:34
Author: callum_out

Yah, without being served or arrested!

Out 

Date: 04/01/20 07:36
Author: up3985

What's the reason for no doubleheading? Bridge weight restrictions?

Date: 04/01/20 07:51
Author: spider1319

Part bridge and train handling.The restiction has been in effect since DRGW days.I stood on my truck to get a little elevation at the USFS road. I guess those days of roaming around there are overBill Webb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/20 08:06 by spider1319.

Date: 04/01/20 09:51

That's a public crossing but with the adjoining properties being owned by a group of non-steam
loving attorneys it's not the place to hang out. One other point about the shot, that's one LONGGGGG
reverse move.

Out 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/20 14:44 by callum_out.

Date: 04/01/20 12:43
Lack of a flanger
Author: jbwest

It worked so I'm not complaining.  But at the time I was concerned about the lack of a working flanger in the plow consist, which resulted in a lot of snow left between the rails.  The OY has a flanger but it was bad order, and so far as I know the engines no longer have their pilot flangers.  My concern was this backing move with the light caboose on the point, and worry that a little snow could easily lift it up and cause a derailment.  But it all worked out wonderfully, and my worry to totally unnecessary.  But next time they would make me feel better by putting a flanger in the consist (smile).

JBWX

Date: 04/01/20 14:46
Re: Lack of a flanger

I was really surprised that they shoved the plow over the crossing at Cumbres, it didn't appear that the flangeways had been cleared.

Out 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0321 seconds