Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Steam & Excursion > Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...


Current Page:1 of 3


Date: 04/05/20 10:14
Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...
Author: Oldtyme

Ed, I dare you to rebuild 3985 in the tradition of your predecessors...That is perform all the work voluntarily as was done in the past.


 



Date: 04/05/20 10:16
Re: Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...
Author: JohnM

Cabin fever setting in?   The Gran Torino has been washed and waxed?



Date: 04/05/20 10:33
Re: Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...
Author: dan

i want the starsky and hutch gran torino

Ed would love to rebuild the 3985, which maybe more Challenging than the 4014 at this point Ed says, but he doesn't have the budget for it plain and simple, we should buy stock and go to the BOD meetings and demand it, know any institutional fund managers?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/20 10:49 by dan.








Date: 04/05/20 10:44
Re: Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...
Author: Oldtyme

Well he has stated over the years that he had all the parts made for 3985 such as drawbars, expansion links, pins, bushings etc...biggest budget drain for any restoration is the labor so donate it just like the former crew did...3985 is owed that. 



Date: 04/05/20 11:14
Re: Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...
Author: HotWater

dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i want the starsky and hutch gran torino
>
> Ed would love to rebuild the 3985,

No he wouldn't! He hates 3985, and has expounded many, MANY times about all that is supposedly "wrong" with 3985.

which maybe
> more Challenging than the 4014 at this point Ed
> says,

Sure, that's what HE says.

but he doesn't have the budget for it plain
> and simple, we should buy stock and go to the BOD
> meetings and demand it, know any institutional
> fund managers?



Date: 04/05/20 11:14
Re: Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...
Author: tomstp

You are gonna be stuck with 4014 until it it's 1472 days of steam are used.  Devide how many days it has already used into that and see how long it will be.  Years.
 



Date: 04/05/20 11:24
Re: Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...
Author: dougd

Please expalin the significance of 1472 "days of steam"



Date: 04/05/20 11:51
Re: Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...
Author: UP951West

Hey, dan , that's a sharp image of UP 3985 at Laramie taken from the pedestrian overpass. Thanks for sharing. --Kelly



Date: 04/05/20 12:07
Re: Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...
Author: cchan006

dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> we should buy stock and go to the BOD
> meetings and demand it, know any institutional
> fund managers?

I think that's a bit naive. Instead of using the money to buy stocks, how about spend it directly to help restore the 3985 elsewhere? Much better use of money, without the stock market overhead.

Anyway, if Jim Young was still around, there's a chance UP might have listened, and that's based on my meeting him by attending a shareholder meeting several years ago. Current Fritz/Vena regime? Doubtful if your idea is going to be effective. But if you want to collect dividends and try to gamble on the UP price recovery, go right ahead.



Date: 04/05/20 12:16
Re: Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...
Author: cchan006

Oldtyme Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ed, I dare you to rebuild 3985 in the tradition of
> your predecessors...That is perform all the work
> voluntarily as was done in the past.

Great way to start the thread, direct and to the point, and no trolling!

This reminds me of Ross Rowland's thread few days ago, "The Way it was." Overall, our society has declined in many ways, and I don't exclude myself from today's mediocrity. I also don't exclude "leaders" from that either.  Your dare will not be answered for those reasons. 



Date: 04/05/20 12:26
Re: Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...
Author: HotWater

dougd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please expalin the significance of 1472 "days of
> steam"

You might check the FRA part 230 for requirements on steam locomotive "days of service". Just in simple terms, if the boiler is under pressure above atmosphere AND there is a fire in the firebox, then THAT is "one day of service". A complete boiler re-certification is required after 1472 "days of service", or 15 years, whichever comes first.



Date: 04/05/20 12:30
Re: Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...
Author: RuleG

Somehow, I think the Union Pacific and anyone affiliated with its steam program have bigger concerns than whether 3985 gets rebuilt.  But that's just based on what I read in the general media and on Trainorders.  Your mileage may vary.



Date: 04/05/20 13:33
Re: Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...
Author: wpjones

If Jim Young was still incharge Ed wouldn't have a say in the matter. It was Mr. Young that wanted the Big Boy at Ogden under steam on May 10th and he also wanted a triple header frieght with steam so guess what. Triple header needs three Engines.
Steve

cchan006 Wrote:
>
> Anyway, if Jim Young was still around, there's a
> chance UP might have listened, and that's based on
> my meeting him by attending a shareholder meeting
> several years ago. Current Fritz/Vena regime?
> Doubtful if your idea is going to be effective.
> But if you want to collect dividends and try to
> gamble on the UP price recovery, go right ahead.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/20 13:47 by wpjones.



Date: 04/05/20 14:12
Re: Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...
Author: A-1

Oldtyme Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well he has stated over the years that he had all
> the parts made for 3985 such as drawbars,
> expansion links, pins, bushings etc...biggest
> budget drain for any restoration is the labor so
> donate it just like the former crew did...3985 is
> owed that. 

3985 got what, three decades of new life? How many other voluntarily restored engines that aren't running any more got that much time or mileage? Especially without the blessing of being part of UP's program? What are they owed?

Posted from Android



Date: 04/05/20 14:18
Re: Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...
Author: HotWater

A-1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oldtyme Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well he has stated over the years that he had
> all
> > the parts made for 3985 such as drawbars,
> > expansion links, pins, bushings etc...biggest
> > budget drain for any restoration is the labor
> so
> > donate it just like the former crew did...3985
> is
> > owed that. 
>
> 3985 got what, three decades of new life?

After the initial "restoration" yes. However, once the UP officially took 3985 back onto the operating roster (even leaving a road number gap in the new EMD SD70M 3900 series), a LOT of additional work was put into 3985 over the years, such as all new tires and crankpins, not to mention the conversion to oil fuel during 1989/1990.

How many
> other voluntarily restored engines that aren't
> running any more got that much time or mileage?
> Especially without the blessing of being part of
> UP's program? What are they owed?
 



Date: 04/05/20 14:40
Re: Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...
Author: masterphots

Here we go yet again.  I can't wait until the UP shuts down the entire program and everyone,  including Mr.  Ed, is furloughed.  Maybe time to buy popcorn futures..



Date: 04/05/20 15:06
Re: Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...
Author: dougd

Thank you Hotwater for explaining the1472 days---I suspected it was some type of regulation but had no idea  of where to look---------other than here!



Date: 04/05/20 15:21
Re: Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...
Author: dan

Here are 4 things we need next rebuilt  IMHO








Date: 04/05/20 15:55
Re: Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...
Author: HotWater

dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here are 4 things we need next rebuilt  IMHO

Why "rebuild"? Are they worn-out? Nobody at the Cheyenne steam shop knows how to maintain/work on them anyway.



Date: 04/05/20 17:35
Re: Ed, I Dare You To Rebuild 3985...
Author: Bob3985

Your first photo is passing the water tank at Wamsutter WY.
Last photo is at downtown Laramie from the pedrestrian walkway.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY



Current Page:1 of 3


[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0826 seconds