Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Steam & Excursion > ATSF 3751 question...

Date: 05/07/20 11:02
ATSF 3751 question...
Author: Alco251

Found a box of unmarked slides...it looks like 3751's trip to Sacramento for Railfair...there's a diesel behind the engine and tool car, a bunch of box cars and two PVs, including Tioga Pass. What was the date of the LA departure? Thanks in advance.

Date: 05/07/20 12:44
Re: ATSF 3751 question...
Author: jeffgeldner

Looks like the date was Flag Day June 14, 1999. I don't know him but Craig Walker posted a great photo of Santa Fe 3751 near Tehachapi Loop (tunnel #2) and he listed that as the date. He posted it on RailPictures.net if you want to view his copyrighted photo. You can contact him via that website; there is the possibility he might be a trainorders.com member.

My photos are in storage but I photographed 3751 later that day in Fresno.

Date: 05/07/20 13:12
Author: llafro

I was along for the ride and remembered that the people from TrainWeb were along with us and uploading photos as we went. That was very new and amazing stuff back then. The date was June 13, 1999. We went Los Angeles to Barstow that day, Barstow to Bakersfield the second day, Bakersfield to Stockton on the third day, and Stockton to Sacramento on the fourth day.

Tioga Pass in 1999
Tioga Pass in 2019

Date: 05/07/20 13:17
Author: jst3751

IIRC, those were brand new box cars, correct?

Also IIRC on the way back from Sacramento, ATSF had a bunch of old semi-mismatched covered hoppers for braking.

Date: 05/07/20 13:23
Author: llafro

Here's an indication of how much changed in 20 years. The 1999 shot has the lounge pretty much in the condition it was when it was in CN service. It was sold to a private owner in 1993. We bought it in 1997. The first realy trip it made was the Railfair excursion in 1999. It's amazing now to see how dingy and utilitarian the interior was back then.

Since we have owned it, the car has been pulled by two different steam locomotives (Santa Fe 3751 and Nickel Plate 765), just about every model of diesel, and a few different electric locomotives as well. We ran something like 350,000 miles all over the US and six Canadian provinces. The car is currently stored in Winmington, CA on the LA Harbor Line. We'd love to get it out on the road this year, but that's all up in the air due to our friendly neighborhood coronavirus....

Date: 05/07/20 14:10
Author: jcaestecker

Cool drone shot from inside the Tioga in the final photo!  Probably little wind resistance.

Just kidding.  The interior looks super fine Brad!

-John

Date: 05/07/20 15:08
Author: Cumbresfan

llafro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was along for the ride and remembered that the
> people from TrainWeb were along with us and
> uploading photos as we went. That was very new and
> amazing stuff back then. The date was June 13,
> 1999. We went Los Angeles to Barstow that day,
> Barstow to Bakersfield the second day, Bakersfield
> to Stockton on the third day, and Stockton to
> Sacramento on the fourth day.
>
> Tioga Pass in 1999
> Tioga Pass in 2019
>  

The second car in 1999 was the "Overland Trail." Go to this link and click on "AT&SF 3751" to see pictures of the 1999 trip to Rail Fair.
http://www.overlandtrail.com/

Due to Amtrak's March 2018 cancellation of most heritage car moves, LA Rail's the Overland Trail, Pacific Trail and Silver Splendor have been sold and now are on short lines back east.

Date: 05/10/20 17:38
Author: ProAmtrak

My dad, me and baby brother chased her from Boron to Monolith, bad part on day 2 was one of the boxcars tripped off a detector near Sanborn!

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1296 seconds