Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Steam & Excursion > This Steam Operation Was Filled With Impressive Scenery!

Date: 05/27/20 03:41
This Steam Operation Was Filled With Impressive Scenery!
Author: LoggerHogger

Seeing the previous post on the Speeder rides available on the old Pickering Lumber Corp. right of way in the early 1970's, made me think of just why that logging railroad attracted so many railfans.  It was in large par the spectacular scenery that the railroad had all along it's route in the Sierra mountains high above the company sawmill at Standard, California.

While Pickering actually had a rule against photogrpahy of it's railroad and logging operations, and posted notices to that affect at various camps along the line, there were still some great photos taken of the operation while it was running.

This photo, taken in the 1950's was by a company phototographer who caught PLC Shay #33 and her log train crossing Chinaman Creek Trestle on her way back to the mill.  We know that this is a staged photo because there is another published shot of this same train with Shay #6 coupled to the front of #33 on the same trestle.  Posed or not, it shows the scenery that the crews on these log trains were treated to on a daily basis.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/20 03:53 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 05/27/20 08:04
Re: This Steam Operation Was Filled With Impressive Scenery!
Author: czuleget

Many of the trestles burned in the recent fires in the past 10 years or so if I remember correctly.  I wish I could have seen them up close my self.

Date: 05/27/20 08:31
Author: wingomann

It looks like the photographer is standing next to some sort of railing.  Was there a structure by him?

Date: 05/27/20 15:16
Author: DKay

Beautiful stuff Martin.Is this site now where Forest route 5N02 crosses the creek.My daughter and her family rode bikes from Skull ck Fire station to Mckays dam on old railroad RoW just this past weekend.
Regards,dK

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0402 seconds