Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Steam & Excursion > End of PRR steam on New York & Long Branch

Date: 06/23/20 17:32
End of PRR steam on New York & Long Branch
Author: boejoe

I think it was during 1957 when passenger train service pulled by K4's between South Amboy and Bay Head Jct NJ was discontinued.  I need some verification, please.  TIA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/20 17:39 by boejoe.

Date: 06/23/20 18:38
Re: End of PRR steam on New York & Long Branch
Author: wcamp1472

I grew up in Long Branch , 1943 to 1960, was in high school 1955 to 1959 , but was attending
 private school in Pennington, NJ.

I  DO. have a PRR employee magazine that documents the date last run of a K4 on the PRSL.
Which I will dig thru and post that date.

Perhaps HotWater has a source for the date of the LAST N.Y.& LB train...
My guess is that it was in the summer of '57.

Wes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/20 18:54 by wcamp1472.

Date: 06/23/20 18:39
Author: Tominde

Here you go  Nov 4, 1957. and about a week later Pemberton to Camden

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,1525253

Date: 06/23/20 20:14
Author: PlyWoody

wcamp1472 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
That PRR Pennsy Magazine covers the last regular schedule K-4 on its last run from Pemberton to Camden, all over PRR trackage.
I'm trying to find anyone who have the block sheets or dispatcher sheets that we know were saved, (guy filled up his garage from emptying 24 Federal  St. old office) which will show the last date in later November 1957 when two of the three train up from Atlantic City to Camden had K-4s assigned.  This was after the last Pemberton train, and from Center tower to Camden terminal these PRSL trains were on PRR track and may be the last revenue schedule train.
But at this time the Garden State Race track was receiving a Race Train from 30th Philadelphia to the Track and they raced into early December.  Some of those trains in November may have been the last run of a K4,  but some ran with a pair of E8s.

Last K-4 under its own power was 5351 that was used to heat a roundhouse at Meadows Yard for the winter in North Jersey and when released it ran dead head under own power on Mar 23, 1958 into Camden CTE where it was set up for tow to be dragged to 46th and Parkside along with the other dead entines. 

Some one has these records of Atlantic Tower, Winslow tower,  Vernon tower, Center Tower which will answer these questions of the last action of K-4. H9s #685 was also kept under steam the whole winter of 1957-1958 and used on the nighttransfer from CTE to Pavonia yard but never photographed.  It next was used for boiler service in Vineland NJ, in spring 1958 and recorded in Trains Magazine. It went to  storage after the packing plant was closed.
At this time CTE received quarterly visit of #5244 for it boiler wash as it Dh down from New Egypt until July 1959. 
Edit correct engine number and add date.

> I grew up in Long Branch , 1943 to 1960, was in
> high school 1955 to 1959 , but was attending
>  private school in Pennington, NJ.
>
> I  DO. have a PRR employee magazine that
> documents the date last run of a K4 on the PRSL.
> Which I will dig thru and post that date.
>
> Perhaps HotWater has a source for the date of the
> LAST N.Y.& LB train...
> My guess is that it was in the summer of '57.
>
> Wes.
>  

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/20 13:46 by PlyWoody.

Date: 06/24/20 05:10
Author: HotWater

I rode that "Fairwell to Steam" excursion, with PRR K4sa #612. The trip was begun out of Penn Station in New York, behind a GG1 of course. Power was changed at South Amboy. I'll look for my photos, and one of the Form 19 train orders from the trip, and post the date later (after I find that photo album).

OK, found the album with the photos and Form 19 order:  October 20, 1957. However, there was still K4s/K4sa locomotives operating out of South Amboy, well after that excursion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/20 07:32 by HotWater.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0595 seconds