Home Open Account Help 215 users online

Steam & Excursion > Seeing A Steam Powered Freight Train On This Railroad Is Rare!

Date: 07/01/20 02:44
Seeing A Steam Powered Freight Train On This Railroad Is Rare!
Author: LoggerHogger

While the Bay Area railfans of the 1930's and 1940's certainly spent their share of time photographing the Northwestern Pacific between Sausalito and Eureka, California, most of the photos they took during this period were of passenger trains.  Many of those shot were taken on the many fan trips that the railroad ran which explains why most photos are of these passenger trains. 

The freight movements on the NWP during the steam era did not get much coverage in part because the freights on the south end moved mostly at night.  Here we see an exception to the rule as NWP #181 is running an extra during daylight hours.  #181 make an impressive sight as she speeds along with her freight train in tow.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/20 02:56 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 07/01/20 15:43
Re: Seeing A Steam Powered Freight Train On This Railroad Is Rare
Author: cewherry

Anyone want to take a stab at the location? The yard limit sign narrows it down somewhat.
It looks like the 4th & 5th car behind the engine are stock cars. Fred Stindt's NWP book shows
a photo of a narrow gauge stock car built for predecessor North Shore Railroad but I wasn't aware
that NWP handled stock traffic in later years.

Nice photo, Martin.

Charlie

Date: 07/01/20 21:24
Author: weather

Looks Like a Ted Wrm or Will Whittaker pic. 

Date: 07/01/20 23:30
Author: 4451Puff

My hunch for location would SP East/ compass north leaving Petaluma, perhaps between East switch Park Siding & Cinabar bridge. On the extreme right of the frame, poking above the train appears to be the top of the NuLaid feed mill (still there in 2020) and this was the area of Petaluma's eastern Yard Limits. I believe the YL got moved about 1/4 mile farther east after the P&SR main was pulled up, & a turnout for the P&SR line to Demnan & Sebastopol was installed to come right off the NWP main, immediately after crossing Cinabar bridge. Just a hunch. I'm interested in other theories as to location.

Desmond Praetzel, "4451 Puff"

Date: 07/01/20 23:33
Author: Elesco

Gorgeous photo.  The locomotive and train, the grass and fence posts, the background, the lighting, contrast, and tone range -- all are near perfection.

I hope somebody can identify the location.

Date: 07/02/20 20:10
Author: atsf121

Nice find!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/03/20 11:49
Author: Milwaukee

4451Puff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My hunch for location would SP East/ compass north
> leaving Petaluma, perhaps between East switch Park
> Siding & Cinabar bridge. On the extreme right of
> the frame, poking above the train appears to be
> the top of the NuLaid feed mill (still there in
> 2020) and this was the area of Petaluma's eastern
> Yard Limits. I believe the YL got moved about 1/4
> mile farther east after the P&SR main was pulled
> up, & a turnout for the P&SR line to Demnan &
> Sebastopol was installed to come right off the NWP
> main, immediately after crossing Cinabar bridge.
> Just a hunch. I'm interested in other theories as
> to location.
>
> Desmond Praetzel, "4451 Puff"
>
>  

I think you got it!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0599 seconds