Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Steam & Excursion > This Famous Paint Scheme Found It's Way To A Few Locomotives!

Date: 07/09/20 02:46
This Famous Paint Scheme Found It's Way To A Few Locomotives!
Author: LoggerHogger

Needless to say, the Southern Pacific's "Daylight" paint scheme is one of the most famous and most recognizable paint design ever applied to a locomotive, either steam or diesel in this Country.  While we think of it primarily as the signature scheme for the famous 4-8-4 Daylight passenger locomotives for which the SP became famous, there were a few other SP steam locomotives that were chosen to wear these famous colors.  Here is one such lucky locomotive.

SP 4-8-2 #4350 was part of SP's Mt-4 Class of Mountain Class locomotives built by SP herself at it's Sacramento Shops in 1926.  #4350 was completed on November 30, 1926 and was placed into service that same day.  She was clearly the apex of locomotive design and construction for SP at the time and for years to follow.  As the 50th of the Mt-Class locomotives built for the SP, she received chrome plated cylinder heads and cab numbers and tender lettering when she was out shopped.

As with most of the other Mt-Class locomotives on the SP roster, #4350 received modernization through the addition of the skyline casings we see here.  For #4350, these were pplied in June, 1940.  Beginning in 1946, #4350 and 4 other Mt-Class locomotives were adorned with the Daylight paint scheme we see here for service on the San Joaquin Daylight, SP Trains #51 & 52.

These colors certainly made #4350 stand out on any train she was seen to pull.

Martin

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/20 13:09 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 07/09/20 08:49
Re: This Famous Paint Scheme Found It's Way To A Few Locomotives!
Author: TonyJ

Those Sacramento-built Mt's are my all-time favorite SP steam locomotive. (Probably due to having a short cab ride in SP4337 in 1954.) A few SP 4-4-2s got the Daylight paint treatment as well. The flashy paint certainly drew attention.

Date: 07/09/20 09:27
Re: Owl
Author: timz

For lack of a better theory-- could 57 be at Tracy?

Date: 07/09/20 10:10
Author: Tominde

Would somebody explain to me what appears to be two sets of air pumps?  Or is that something else between 2nd and third drivers?

Date: 07/09/20 10:15
Author: LoggerHogger

There is only one airpump.  The appuratus on the left is the feedwater pump.

Martin

Date: 07/09/20 10:58
Author: HotWater

LoggerHogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is only one airpump.  The appuratus on the
> left is the feedwater pump.
>
> Martin

Correct. One cross-compound air pump on the Fireman's side, with the Worthington BL type feedwater pump.

Date: 07/09/20 12:27
Author: PHall

Okay, pet peeve:  Those are Skyline Casings not castings. They're fabricated not cast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/20 13:23 by PHall.

Date: 07/09/20 14:15
Author: nycman

It's these doggone spell checkers.  They are programmed by young people who do not know the word casings so change it to castings.  If anyone knows that they were called casings, Martin does.  Mine always changes my daughter's nickname when I type it because it is unknown to the limited vocabulary programmers.

Date: 07/09/20 14:28
Author: Barstool

The 4350 is at Martinez, train 57 hits Martinez around 7:30 a.M., the sun is not the best for WB's but look what was taken...

Date: 07/09/20 21:40
Author: MojaveBill

Great to watch two MT's power up the grade out of Mojave with 51 every morning and feel the earth move at the Oak Creek Crossing
or from Al Sylva's herder shack...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 07/09/20 23:02
Author: PHall

nycman Wrote:
> It's these doggone spell checkers.  They are
> programmed by young people who do not know the
> word casings so change it to castings.  If anyone
> knows that they were called casings, Martin
> does.  Mine always changes my daughter's nickname
> when I type it because it is unknown to the
> limited vocabulary programmers.

Take responsibility for what you write. Read it before you post it.

Date: 07/10/20 13:12
Author: nycman

OK boss.

Date: 07/10/20 16:49
Author: agentatascadero

PHall Wrote:
> nycman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's these doggone spell checkers.  They are
> > programmed by young people who do not know the
> > word casings so change it to castings.  If
> anyone
> > knows that they were called casings, Martin
> > does.  Mine always changes my daughter's
> nickname
> > when I type it because it is unknown to the
> > limited vocabulary programmers.
>
> Take responsibility for what you write. Read it
> before you post it.

So, Mr Hall, I suppose you'll  be wanting us to take responsibility for our EYES too?  Surely you know the crowd you're addressing.....largely lame and blind!!  I "read" my posts before posing, then later notice fat-fingered spelling errors I failed to see at first.

AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2043 seconds