Home Open Account Help 176 users online

Steam & Excursion > end of Sierra Railroad passenger service

Date: 07/09/20 17:51
end of Sierra Railroad passenger service
Author: cc51

Thanks to all who responded to my post of the letter from Charles Crocker, President of Sierra Railroad announcing the end of Sierra's passenger service. Jamestown was a great place to see multiple steam locomotives on up to several trains a day in that time. On December 29th and 30th 1979 the Pacific Locomotive Association marked the occasion of the last runs by operating 3 different excursions. I  have attached the brochure for those runs for your enjoyment.  This is another example of why you should ride and photograph trains when you can because "you don't know what you got 'til its gone".             
                               -Chris Collins

the other 1/2 of the brochure follows on the next post as I reached the limit on attachments.                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Date: 07/09/20 17:55
Re: end of Sierra Railroad passenger service
Author: cc51

Here's the other 1/2 of PLA's brochure on the last Sierra excursions. Those were the good old days.        -cc51

Date: 07/09/20 20:03
Author: SierraRail

The very last train arriving at Jamestown at 12:37 a.m., Jan. 1, 1980 with a 6-car, all-Pullman Buffet train.

Date: 07/09/20 20:52
Author: px320

On the last Day of operation, December 31, 1979, Short Line Enterprises ran a special train for family and invited guests., Jimtown to Cooperstown and return. Many Sierra office staff came along for the ride. It was a bittersweet ending to a great operation.

In late 1978 I had a clue that something was up. I was hired to appraise the railroad equipment at Railtown. I was sworn to secrecy and this is first time I have ever mentioned it.

Date: 07/10/20 04:02
Author: LoggerHogger

My wife and I attended the last steam weekend in December, 1979.  It was sad to see it all come to an end.  The first day's run of Shay #2 to Fassler was in brilliant sunshine and then the last days run was in rain, just like the Farewell To Steam trip had been in April, 1955.

We splurged on this weekend and rode the dinner train and that was a real treat!  #28 doubleheaded with #34.  On the way back someone who was doing sound recordings greased the rails and grade coming back into Jamestown and the sound effects were spectacular.  While they should not have done that, those of us listening from the opeb baggage door got a real treat.

I do remember that the traffic on the road was crazy that weekend and took away from the experiance.  I later learned that famed Bay Area railfan Wil Whittaker was hit by a car at Keystone and spent a couple of months in the hospital as a result of his injuries.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/20 04:25 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 07/10/20 10:34
Author: lupislune

Does Sierra Railroad still own right of way to Tuolumne?

Date: 07/10/20 11:19
Author: LarryIngold

No, Sierra's R/W stops at the SPI Mill, at Standard (Fasler), believe east of Standard it's owned by the County or maybe part by the Native Americans that own the West Side mill grounds. 

Date: 07/10/20 11:25
Author: SierraRail

LarryIngold Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, Sierra's R/W stops at the SPI Mill, at
> Standard (Fasler), believe east of Standard it's
> owned by the County or maybe part by the Native
> Americans that own the West Side mill grounds. 

Sierra Railroad Milepost 50 to 57 is 100% owned by Me-Wuk Indians of the Tuolumne Rancheria.

Date: 07/10/20 16:49
Author: WAF

SierraRail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LarryIngold Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > No, Sierra's R/W stops at the SPI Mill, at
> > Standard (Fasler), believe east of Standard
> it's
> > owned by the County or maybe part by the Native
> > Americans that own the West Side mill
> grounds. 
>
> Sierra Railroad Milepost 50 to 57 is 100% owned by
> Me-Wuk Indians of the Tuolumne Rancheria.

What are their plans for it?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1634 seconds