Home Open Account Help 265 users online

Steam & Excursion > NKP 765 - Homeward Bound

Date: 08/02/20 09:39
NKP 765 - Homeward Bound
Author: refarkas

NKP 765 is returning home after spending time on the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad for "Steam in the Valley 2014". It is October 8, 2014, and she is eastbound on the W&LE leaving Akron, Ohio to wye at Mogadore, Ohio and then go west on the W&LE.
Bob

Date: 08/02/20 10:25
Re: NKP 765 - Homeward Bound
Author: ClubCar

Very nice photo of a fine locomotive.  I hope that she gets to steam again very shortly.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 08/02/20 10:26
Author: Keystone1

Nice looking and all correct.  Not all junked up.

Date: 08/02/20 11:36
Author: krm152

She certainly looks great.  Steamong right along.
Thanks for the excellent action photo post.
ALLEN

Date: 08/02/20 11:55
Author: Rich_Melvin

Keystone1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice looking and all correct.  Not all junked up.

??? What does that mean?

Rich Melvin
Columbus, OH
My Web Site

Date: 08/02/20 11:56
Author: Spoony81

Rich_Melvin Wrote:
> Keystone1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nice looking and all correct.  Not all junked
> up.
>
> ??? What does that mean?

He has a long list of things he hates on steam engines/ excursions. It gets very tiresome to see.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/02/20 14:20
Author: steamfan759

The locomotive looks great and we are lucky that she survived and still runs.  I am surprised that no one has complained that her steel bell was replaced with a bronze one.  I think that is the same bell that we had on 759 and Wes Camp can confirm that!

Ron

Date: 08/02/20 16:40
Author: Goalieman

While I’m certainly echoing “spoony81”, “Keystone1” can’t appreciate anything about a historical steam locomotive unless the very grit on on the running boards is from the era in which it ran. Why he pays attention to the miracle that is “NKP 765 - 21st Century Survivor” is truly beyond me. Seems to only aggravate him. Not only does he choose to pay attention, he complains on this forum ad nauseam. Oh well, at least freedom of speech is still alive in some parts of our lives.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/02/20 17:42
Author: refarkas

However we see beauty or the lack of it, let's come together in thankfulness that we can still see operating steam locomotives in 2020. In 1962 I received permission to visit a scrap yard in Canton, Ohio where some NKP Berkshires were cut up. NKP 736 had been separated from her tender and the scrapping had begun. I was sick thinking I'd never see another full-size steam locomotive run. 
Today we have the opportunity to still see mainline steam in action as excursion locomotives or on photo freights. Our opinions are our opinions - that's all. Each one is right or wrong to himself or herself. Trainorders is for the fun of railfanning. So are our opinions. Let's respect each other. I know I respect each of you.
Bob

Date: 08/02/20 17:47
Author: Goalieman

refarkas Wrote:
> However we see beauty or the lack of it, let's
> come together in thankfulness that we can still
> see operating steam locomotives in 2020. In 1962 I
> received permission to visit a scrap yard in
> Canton, Ohio where some NKP Berkshires were cut
> up. NKP 736 had been separated from her tender and
> the scrapping had begun. I was sick thinking I'd
> never see another full-size steam locomotive
> run. 
> Today we have the opportunity to still see
> mainline steam in action as excursion locomotives
> or on photo freights. Our opinions are our
> opinions - that's all. Each one is right or wrong
> to himself or herself. Trainorders is for the fun
> of railfanning. So are our opinions. Let's respect
> each other. I know I respect each of you.
> Bob

Well said Bob. I am grateful for mainline steam in whatever form it takes and will respect the opinions of my fellow fans going forward. Cheers to you for your post.

Mark V.
The Fort in Indiana

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/02/20 17:53
Author: wandle

"The locomotive looks great and we are lucky that she survived and still runs. I am surprised that no one has complained that her steel bell was replaced with a bronze one. I think that is the same bell that we had on 759 and Wes Camp can confirm that!"
Ron

At least initially, #759 used the bronze bell from NKP 2-8-4 #779 that was on display in Lima, Ohio. My good friend, Eric Hirsimaki (who is a long-time friend of the museum in Lima), helped remove the #779's bell and drove it to Conneaut where #759 was being restored to operation. I do not know what bell is being used on #765 right now, but it is not #779's bell, which was put back onto #779 decades ago. Be safe.
John B. Corns

Date: 08/02/20 18:12
Author: NKP779

Wes Camp loaned the Geisler Engineering brass bell that was used on the 759 for the July 22, 1973, announcement of the American Freedom Train. That was between Hoboken and Scranton over the Lackawanna main. I watched the show on the ground.

Indeed, 779's brass bell has been back on her since being used on the 759 during 1968 - 1971.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/02/20 19:47
Author: rkennedy2

Amen brother!  Seeing a living breathing steam locomotive in this century is kind of almost a miracle.  So let's thank all of those personally involved with the operation and restoration of any steam engine.   

Date: 08/04/20 20:05
Author: daylightfan

Keystone1 Wrote:
> Nice looking and all correct.  Not all junked up.

Really?!!!! Did you just say that?

Date: 08/05/20 15:26
Author: ns1000

No different than what I read today on the Strasburg Cam....

Folks were upset because Strasburg didn't have MORE steam locos RESTORED TO WORKING ORDER....??!!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.061 seconds