Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Steam & Excursion > Leaving Owosso, Michigan - SP 4449

Date: 08/04/20 03:39
Leaving Owosso, Michigan - SP 4449
Author: refarkas

It was about 8:00 P.M. on July 30, 2009 when SP 4449 began her homeward trip from Owosso, Michigan after spending the earlier part of the summer on display and running excursions for the Steam Railroad Institute. 
Here are four images of her and her train as they left Owosso.
Bob

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/20 03:51 by refarkas.

Date: 08/04/20 03:49
Re: Leaving Owosso, Michigan - SP 4449

Goodbye Owosso.
Bob

Date: 08/04/20 04:39
Author: jkh2cpu

Nice ones, Bob. I was down in Durand waiting for the departure.

John.

Date: 08/04/20 08:40
Author: agent1522

Very nice pictures.  Thank you for posting.  After it's extended stay in Minneapolis, I rode it from Spokane to Portland on its way home.  Probably the only all daylight trip between Spokane and Portland that has been run or will be in a long time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/20 21:25 by agent1522.

Date: 08/04/20 13:28
Author: TheNavigator

Thanks for posting these; I also attended a few days of TrainFest in Owosso that year.
GK

Date: 08/04/20 13:32
Author: HotWater

TheNavigator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for posting these; I also attended a few
> days of TrainFest in Owosso that year.
> GK

To avoid additional confusion, "Trainfest" is a long running model/toy train event held at the Milwaukee County Fair Grounds each year. The 2009 event in Owosso, was "Train Festival" if I recall. Apparently a one time event at Owosso.

Date: 08/04/20 14:14
Author: Goalieman

A belated “thank you” to everyone involved in bringing 4449 to Michigan for Train Festival 2009. As a lifelong Midwesterner, it was my first and perhaps only chance to see her at speed on the mainline. Forever grateful. She’s a beautiful and impressive sight to behold.

Mark V.
The Fort in Indiana.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/04/20 14:49
Author: grizzledgary

Mark, I'll join you in thanking all those who gave so much of themselves to make such events possible. Though we had previously traveled from Ohio several times to ride behind #4449 and other steam locomotives "out west" we very much enjoyed another opportunity to see her again so close to home in 2009. With the future of mainline steam appearing to be all but over such events now sadly seem even more in the distant past. I'm glad we accessed as much as our vacation time and budget would allow.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/04/20 16:39
Author: Goalieman

Very well said. While I might be naive, I’m holding out hope for mainline steam. If the once dominate “global economy” continues the proper trend toward the preferred “national economy”, mainline steam may once again find a place. In the meantime, short lines, national parks and the like will keep the fascination of steam alive. IMHO.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/04/20 16:47
Author: SPJoe

Nice shooting!

Joe

Date: 08/04/20 17:55
Author: masterphots

Great photos.  I've always wished I gone to that event,  just to shoot the 4449 passing the Carland elevator.

Date: 08/04/20 20:13
Author: daylightfan

Awesome photos!  I went also and got to see it all. The stars truely alinged for this to come together.

Date: 08/05/20 03:14
Author: andersonb109

I rode the two different trains from Portland to Battle, Creek, MI.  A very complicated plan. First a Delta flight to Portland and overnight. Portland was  nice place to visit back then.  Second, the all PV train from Spokane to Minneapolis with numerous overnight stops. One of the best train riding experiences of my life with the drawing room in Silver Solarium all to myself.  Third, The "Silver Fleet" cars went on the back of the Builder to Chicago. Overnight in the Amtrak yard when it was allowed. Next, after walking along the tracks to Union Station in a thunderstorm with an assist from a friendly Amtrak crew van, the morning Wolverine train to Dearborn, MI. After a week of  in activity, I drove my car to Battle Creek, MI.  Amtrak back Dearborn. Enterprise Car Rental to home. Next day, Enterprise to DTW and a Delta flight to Minneapolis. There I joined the next leg of the 4449 trip using the Friends of the 261's cars to Chicago on all N track. So new mileage for me. After an overnight in Chicago and a great dinner with Frank and Judy Sandberg at the W Hotel near union Station, train to Battle Creek where my car was waiting for the short drive home. I do regret not chasing the train back from Owosso to Chicago. But by then I had had enough. A great probably never to be repeated trip. While this photo has been posted previously, I thought some might enjoy seeing it again. Just east of East Glacier. Thanks to my friend Joe Harper for allowing me to join in the chase from White Fish to Havre. 

Date: 08/05/20 06:28

Thanks for adding the story of your trip and your finely crafted photo.
Bob

Date: 08/05/20 13:36
Author: nycman

Bruce, you were one of the few who rode with us all the way to Minnesota.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0705 seconds