Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Steam & Excursion > Four kids visit NYC RR Museum Elkhart at 1AM

Date: 08/06/20 01:31
Four kids visit NYC RR Museum Elkhart at 1AM
Author: JPB

As seen on the NYC Elkhart east and west cams in the wee hours of this morning, 8/6/20:

4 kids enter grounds at 0105 through open gate (east cam) to climb on Mohawk (west cam) and leave at 0137. Met by chance by cop at gate at 0138 who chats with them but makes no arrests as kids walk away. Cop checks premises on foot at 0140 and leaves at 0201 closing gate.

Date: 08/06/20 06:31
Re: Four kids visit NYC RR Museum Elkhart at 1AM
Author: Cumbresfan

Today's societal observation: Catch and release doesn't apply just to fishing anymore.

(Edit: Maybe a bit harsh comment here as the gate was open.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/20 06:33 by Cumbresfan.

Date: 08/06/20 06:40
Author: towazy

"catch and release"

Were they vandals or just being curious? Did they cause damage or just curious to climb on the equipment?  Not all kids,or everyone who trespasses,has ill intent.  I know I've done plenty of it in my past,never with the intent to cause trouble.  I'm sure I'm not alone among those on this list that have. Sometimes discretion is warranted. 

Tom

Cumbresfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Today's societal observation: Catch and release
> doesn't apply just to fishing anymore.
>
> (Edit: Maybe a bit harsh comment here as the gate
> was open.)

Date: 08/06/20 08:48
Author: rusticmike6

Kids, roaming around at 1 in the morning?  How many of us did this or let our kids do this?  I think a ride home and a knock on the door would have been appropriate.  On another note, why would someone with the only Mohawk east of the Mississippi leave their collection unsecured?  

Date: 08/06/20 10:48
Author: asheldrake

facility security is a constant concern / issue          Arlen

Date: 08/06/20 14:37
Author: wabash2800

I was there some years ago at the station and saw some elementry school kids, who had just got off school, trying to hop a moving freight train doing about 30 mph, by grabbing onto the grab irons. Luckily no one was hurt but their attempts were not successful as they would let go just in time or fall backwards. I was sure I would see some amputees in front of my eyes. The same day, a goofy family showed up and the father, mother (I assume) and two kids walked on top of the Mohawk along the centerline of the boiler. They looked and behaved like an odd bunch.

Yes, what would school age children be doing out at 1 am? Sadly, there probably isn't anyone at home and there is no father figure. The cycle continues.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/20 04:40 by wabash2800.

Date: 08/07/20 06:14
Author: BAB

Its the normal message out there with no control over there kids they think have every right to desrtoy things. Just look at the age of many that are causing damage in Portland OR where the mayor and govenor say hands off of them also.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0428 seconds