Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Steam & Excursion > While One Lucky Locomotive Steams These Wait Out Their Fate!

Date: 08/09/20 03:58
While One Lucky Locomotive Steams These Wait Out Their Fate!
Author: LoggerHogger

The snow on the ground only ads to the atmosphere of this scene of steam in it's last days. 

We are in the Union Pacific yards in Cheyenne, Wyoming in March, 1956.  There is a lone plume of smoke rising in the background signalling the steaming of UP 4-12-2 #9000 as she prepares to depart with her Rocky Mountain RR Club excursion to Denver.  One of the railfans has come over to capture on film this line of cold and lifeless UP articulateds in a deadline.

While most eyes are on the #9000, we can't help but feel remorse for these rail giants that may never see another fire in their fireboxes again.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/20 04:06 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 08/09/20 10:33
Re: While One Lucky Locomotive Steams These Wait Out Their Fate!
Author: tomstp

For some reason this shot reminds me of the animals of Humane Society  TV commercials.

Date: 08/09/20 12:18
Author: rrman6

Reminds me of 1954 in east Denver yards.  It was winter and my parents and I had traveled toward Denver to meet my oldest brother who was stationed at the U.S. Army Fitsimmons Hospital before his transfer to Germany.  It was snowy just as in this photo and there was various UPRR steamers parked in 'dead lines' in the yard paralleling the highway.  T'was a sad sight for my eyes at that time, both in seeing these once popular engines and to say goodbye to my brother.  As a sidenote, it was nearing Christmas and the end of the 8th grade 1st semester.  On this trip I was having to memorize some lines from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem, Evangeline which wasn't near as interesting as viewing the UP yards!  Ha! 🙄

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/20 12:20 by rrman6.

Date: 08/09/20 14:55
Author: M-420

A melancholy image to be sure

Date: 08/10/20 05:43
Author: LocoPilot750

Looks like a later model pilot on an older Challenger ?

Posted from Android

Date: 08/10/20 17:43
Author: masterphots

And to think these were replaced by yellow boxes.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0345 seconds