Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Steam & Excursion > Years After Steam Had Departed, This Roundhouse Had A Visitor!

Date: 08/10/20 03:03
Years After Steam Had Departed, This Roundhouse Had A Visitor!
Author: LoggerHogger

Buy March, 1963, the Northern Pacific Roundhouse in Auburn, Washington had not hosted steam motive power for many years.  While the old steam roundhouse and it's turntable remained intact, the diesel shops built next to it was where all the work was performed.

That all changed on March 9th when the NP switch crews were treated to the chance to once again park a serviceable steam locomotive in one of the roundhouse stalls.  On this day, former Rayonier 2-8-2 #2 arrived from Hoquiam, Washington on her way back east to her new owners and her new life pulling tourist trains instead of log trains.

Al Farrow was on hand with his trusty folding camera to capture NP 336 as she nudged #2 off the turntable and into her stall for the night.  #2 has her pistons removed for the cross-country trip.  Going along with #2 to see to her lubrication along the way was Rayonier employee, Jim Gertz.  That might actually be Jim walking out of the roundhouse there on the right.

This would not be the last time that #2 would travel across country to begin a new life.  Just a few short years ago #2 and her owner Skip Lichter came back West to Garibaldi, Oregon so that #2 could operate on the Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad where she is today.

Martin

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/20 03:17 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 08/10/20 05:44
Re: Years After Steam Had Departed, This Roundhouse Had A Visitor
Author: Frisco1522

Not sure which is rarist.  The mike, the turntable or the roundhouse that is still intact.  The America I grew up in and miss.

Date: 08/10/20 08:00
Author: A-1

I like the read headlight on the little tower. They should put one back on the 2 or its sister up at Mt. Rainier when its future is sorted out.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/10/20 21:49
Author: roustabout

In the brief time I spent on #2 at the Oregon Coast Scenic RR, the saying was, 'Do what Skip says.'  Good advice!

Date: 08/10/20 22:23
Author: wandle

I got my first steam loco cab ride in #2 when it was operating on the Cadillac & Lake City in Michigan. Sitting on the seatbox behind the fireman, that day I was the King of the World! Great memories. Be safe.
John B. Corns  (misterwandle)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0367 seconds