Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Steam & Excursion > More Blue Woo on the LGSR

Date: 09/07/20 13:53
More Blue Woo on the LGSR
Author: PennRailVideos

Another great day of steam action in NEPA, provided by the Reading & Northern 4-6-2 Pacific #425.

1. 425 getting ready for a day of excursions in Jim Thorpe, PA.
2. The ran the engine up around the curve before the trips to clean out the stack and cylinder cocks.
3. And 425 departs with the first train of the day putting on a grand show as always.

Adam C.

Date: 09/07/20 14:28
Re: More Blue Woo on the LGSR
Author: Goalieman

Excellent pictures. Thanks for posting! How tall are #425’s drivers? Looks like she can hit a decent stride with those legs.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/07/20 14:57
Author: PennRailVideos

Date: 09/08/20 06:50
Author: Frisco1522

People will love the little valve oil speckles on their cars LOL.    First time I went to Union to see the Frisco 1630 run, I parked my tan 66 Galaxie next to the ready track.   First couple of exhaust when they moved her did wonders with all the overnight condensation and soot.  Wasn't my smartest mood.
I wish I could get up there to see the 425 run.  Great exhaust on her.  My OCD has forgotten the blue, after all Frisco had some blue engines.   Maybe some day will see the headlight on center and have a great balanced looking front.   Just MHO and not meant to be picky or annoying.

Date: 09/09/20 16:08
Author: ns1000

I REALLY like Pic 3!!

Date: 09/10/20 12:40
Author: Earlk

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> People will love the little valve oil speckles on
> their cars LOL.    First time I went to Union
> to see the Frisco 1630 run, I parked my tan 66
> Galaxie next to the ready track.   First couple
> of exhaust when they moved her did wonders with
> all the overnight condensation and soot.  Wasn't
> my smartest mood.
> I wish I could get up there to see the 425 run. 
> Great exhaust on her.  My OCD has forgotten the
> blue, after all Frisco had some blue engines.  
> Maybe some day will see the headlight on center
> and have a great balanced looking front.   Just
> MHO and not meant to be picky or annoying.

When they run 425 on the Reading-Jim Thorpe runs with a diesel "anti-stall device", they have used the diesel to get the train underway and past the parking lot, whereupon the 425 comes to life with a vengeance and the "anti-stall device" goes back to idle.  I have a great audio recording made from the top of the tender of one of these trips.  The diesel gets them underway, 425 comes to life, and your don't hear a peep from the diesel until a point where 425 just can't make track speed and the diesel gives an assist.  On the hard pull up Hometown Hill, 425 got down on her knees treading sand before the "antistall device" kicked back in to render assistance.... as it should be.  I've chased 425 solo, with no help - a shorter train, no water canteen and no helper.  She actually had an easier time of it as she works with she's got with the big trains, and only gets help when she needs it. 

Date: 09/10/20 19:15
Author: MJV1988

Just out of curiosity what did 425 look like before her 2nd career started in the 80's? I can't find any photos of it when it was a GM&O engine.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0413 seconds