Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Steam & Excursion > This Locomotive Sports A Name Change And An Interesting Stack!

Date: 09/10/20 03:26
This Locomotive Sports A Name Change And An Interesting Stack!
Author: LoggerHogger

Back in July, 1936, Otto Perry was on one of his trips out of his home state of Colorado and he decided to swing through Oregon and Washington to capture some of the steam action in those states as well.  One of his stops was at the logging camp outside of Cathlamet, Washington where he caught this handsome Baldwin 2-6-6-2T.

Built in 1929 for the Crown Willamette Paper Co. #12 was destined to spend her entire working career in the forest outside of Cathlamet.  When Perry found her, she had the CWP name painted over on her saddle tanks indicating she was soon to be lettered for the new name of the company, Crown Zellerbach Corporation.

Given the fact that Perry found her in the middle of the hot summer logging season, #12 also sports a Gerlinger spark arrestor.  These uniquely shaped spark arrestors were very popular in the Western States.  Developed by the Gerlinger Iron Works of Salem, Oregon.  This spark arrestor was both good at capturing the sparks that could be emitted from even an oil burning locomotive like #12 while still allowing the locomotive to draft properly.

What Perry could not have known when he took this classic shot of a Baldwin Logging Mallet, was that 23 years later, #12 would be replicated in Japan in the form of an HO brass model and would be the very first model imported by a new company to be known as Northwest Shortline.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/20 03:44 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 09/10/20 03:34
Re: This Locomotive Sports A Name Change And An Interesting Stack
Author: bobwilcox

What a classic shot!

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 09/10/20 05:09
Author: steamfan759

Great looking photo and it reminds me of an upcoming book that I understand is well underway!

Ron

Date: 09/10/20 05:14
Author: LoggerHogger

steamfan759 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great looking photo and it reminds me of an
> upcoming book that I understand is well underway!
>
> Ron

Thanks for the shameless plug Ron.

Martin

Date: 09/10/20 14:48
Author: atsf121

Great looking loco

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0397 seconds