Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Steam & Excursion > Schlegel Traincamp 2020, Cass Scenic Railroad

Date: 09/13/20 18:03
Schlegel Traincamp 2020, Cass Scenic Railroad
Author: dschlegel

For those of you on the eastern board you’re probably aware that my dad, brother, and I spent a long weekend exploring railroads in Virginia and West Virginia. 

We spent Thursday working our way from eastern PA to Staunton, VA with several stops along the way. 

Friday was spent stopping at Prince and Thurmond, WV before spending the night at Hawks Nest Lodge. 

Both days were a blast but our main purpose for the trip was riding the Cass to Bald Knob.

I had seen videos and photos of Cass many times over my 45 years and always thought it would be a neat place to visit one day. 

I must say that the entire experience exceeded my expectations. The service from the staff, the scenery, and the ride to the top behind a real live Shay were fantastic.

Here is the #2 pulling the Saturday train into the station for boarding in a grand fashion.

Enjoy!
Dan

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/13/20 19:16
Re: Schlegel Traincamp 2020, Cass Scenic Railroad
Author: train671

Cass is a wonderful place to visit.  A bit of a challenge to get there BUT the equipment is
great, the crews are great, the sounds of the engines working upgrade and finally the
scenery is great from the top.  Definitely worth the treck.  Thanks for sharing.

Date: 09/14/20 04:59
Author: PlyWoody

Cass Scenic RR in a class act above and beyond most tourist railroads.  If you love steam and whistles, the Shays are fantastic new experience. And there is a cleaver way to get there without any mountain climbing twisty roads.  From the Northeast take I-81 Interstate to Maryland and then by interstate to west of Cumberland.  Then it is only 2 hours down the valleys southwest on lightly traveled back roads to reach Rt 28 west of Moorefield.  That road does cross a mountain ridge but sideways all straight and at state speed limit.  Then more beautiful valley running to Durbin. The only twist and tum is just getting into Cass.  There are bed and breakfast just west of Snowshoe, and the sky resort at Snowshoe also rents rooms.  Or you can rent a loggers home in the historic Cass village.  It is a different world down in those mountains.  Highly recommend, all will like the train ride.

I sure enjoy that video, but you need to add some from your ride like the last mile to the summit of Bald Knob.  Hope you had a clear day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/20 06:22 by PlyWoody.

Date: 09/14/20 05:16
Author: jim6300loco

Outstanding Video!

Date: 09/14/20 06:38
Author: dschlegel

PlyWoody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From the
> Northeast take I-81 Interstate to Maryland and
> then by interstate to west of Cumberland.  Then
> it is only 2 hours down the valleys southwest on
> lightly traveled back roads to reach Rt 28 west
> of Moorefield.  That road does cross a mountain
> ridge but sideways all straight and at state
> speed limit.  Then more beautiful valley running
> to Durbin. The only twist and tum is just getting
> into Cass. 

So I81 to I70 west to what, US220 south? I’d love to have the rest of the route numbers for a future trip.

>
> I sure enjoy that video, but you need to add
> some from your ride like the last mile to the
> summit of Bald Knob.  Hope you had a clear day.

I took some video at different spots while ascending the grades, I need to look at them to see if they’re worth posting or not. As for the weather at Bald Knob, it was probably 20 degrees colder than Cass, a bit windy, and for most of the 30-ish minutes we were there cloudy. Through the breaks in the clouds though the view is spectacular!! I’d love to get up there on a crystal clear autumn day.

If I find a good clip from the ascent I’ll post it later, but to be honest I was so captivated with what was happening that I opted to watch and observe rather than record video for most of the trip.

Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/14/20 19:36
Author: train544

Hi
Great fantastic video good job
I have been there a few times and is a great place to visit
Tom Boylan

Date: 09/15/20 16:15
Author: Appalachianrails

Another ride is coming soon.....the tradition of the Durbin Rocket that began in 1996 will be running out of Cass soon for the first time since the flood of 1985 washed away the C&O between Cass and Durbin....

Date: 09/17/20 14:52
Author: ns1000

Nice video!!  

I need to go back....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0483 seconds