Home Open Account Help 382 users online

Steam & Excursion > "Skookum" at Niles Canyon today

Date: 09/20/20 17:26
"Skookum" at Niles Canyon today
Author: wpamtk

I got my first look at 2-4-4-2 "Skookum" at the Niles Canyon Railway today, and had a great time (and the wildfire smoke wasn't too bad). The first two views are the engine running around its train at Sunol, the last is departing Niles. I understand they will be running steam a couple of weekends in October, but get the impression they will use a different engine.    

Date: 09/20/20 19:03
Re: "Skookum" at Niles Canyon today
Author: asheldrake

GREAT pictures......"smoke wasn't too bad"????   I see blue sky....that is a non-existent color for us Portlanders last week.....no sky at all....just grey.   Arlen

Date: 09/20/20 22:04
Author: pennsy3750

Is there a reason why Skookum was as a 2-4-4-2, rather than a 2-8-2?

Date: 09/21/20 08:13
Author: trainman

Sharp curves ...

Posted from Android

Date: 09/21/20 11:08
Author: IC_2024

Nice shots, Ed— I was hoping to catch it in October, but am disappointed to hear your intel that it might be another engine then.
Couldn’t lay off— with impending “cuts” my job is going to be “limited hours” from now on, so need to make the OT while I can.

Date: 09/21/20 13:47
Author: nycman

Here is a shot taken in 2017 at the Oregon Coast Scenic where the Skookum was being restored to operation.

Date: 09/21/20 15:50
Author: Copy19

That's really an attractive boiler jacket

JB - Omaha

Date: 09/21/20 18:13
Author: CedarRapids

There was a comprehensive article in the October 2018 issue of Trains Magazine on its history, the derailment and restoration.

Elizabeth

pennsy3750 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there a reason why Skookum was as a 2-4-4-2,
> rather than a 2-8-2?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0366 seconds