Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Steam & Excursion > Cass Heritage Weekend

Date: 11/10/20 03:54
Cass Heritage Weekend
Author: andersonb109

Following are three of my efforts from last weekends Cass photo specials. Many thanks to the Cass Scenic Railroad and Durbin and Greenbrier Valley Railroad for staging this even under difficult circumstances.  55 people participated in the event. It was good to see more younger people  participating than you would typically find on a private photo charter. Lower cost than a private charter could be a contributing factor which resulted in a larger than normal group. As a result, photo lines were a bit undisciplined  at times with many apparently first time participants. Some bright colored clothing was in evidence.

Now if I may a comment on something posted months ago when I tried to promote the event here on TO. Having been locked down for months I was excited to once again be able to enjoy my passion. Until  someone replied that the event was going to be a "danger to public health" and should not be held.  I posted back to that individual saying that many of us were grateful for the railroads attempting such an event and that if that individual didn't feel comfortable, then don't attend. But please don't disparage the event and possibly contribute to keeping it from happening. That same individual then slammed me personally saying he hoped I got infected and in turn infected my friends and family once back home. So to that person. Stay locked down at home if that's your choice but let the rest of us who want to live our lives enjoy events like this. Driving West Virginia's narrow mountain roads at night was probably more of a risk than becoming exposed to the Coved 19. 

I found West Virginia to be more like normal life compared to Michigan. For the event, masks were encouraged but required only inside the various buildings at Cass. They were not required at the hotel where I stayed.  I estimate less than 1/4 of all participants wore masks. ALL of the event was held outside so I personally felt a mask was unnecessary.  I even shook hands with a few participants I knew and hadn't seen for months.  Dr. Fauci would be horrified.  Photo lines were normal as social distancing would be impossible in most locations that were very tight. Trees had grown significantly since my last visit to Cass in 1999. Again, if you don't feel comfortable in that situation, don't attend future events like this. But please don't shame the rest of us for wanting to do so.  Obviously 55 people did attend and from what I could tell enjoyed themselves in perfect weather.  I look forward to doing it again with a smaller group with Pete Lerro in May.

Date: 11/10/20 03:59
Re: Cass Heritage Weekend
Author: LoggerHogger

Nice photos.  Thanks for sharing,.  I am glad this railroad event went off dspite the virus issues.  It is good that peaople have the choice to attend if they want. 

Let's hope this spells a re-opening of railroad events for next year.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/20 04:02 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 11/10/20 07:29
Author: train671

Thanks for posting.  I have had the opportunity to attend events at Cass and they run great events
and have the unique scenry to produce some great images as your photos show.  As for the perso
who was so critical, well, he wasn't there so that helped make the event even better.  He has the
right not to attend but not the right to interfere with your choices.

Date: 11/12/20 20:40
Author: jcaestecker

If Dr. Fauci were a train enthusiast, I'm sure he would be a little more openminded.  :-)))

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0483 seconds