Home Open Account Help 206 users online

Steam & Excursion > Special projects at C&TS!!!!

Date: 11/10/20 15:20
Special projects at C&TS!!!!
Author: PorterNo2

Things have been busy in the special projects department at the Cumbres and Toltec this year even in the face of covid19 and the various other challenges for heritage railroads have faced in these challenging times.  The historic car project saw the completion of DRG coach 256 (built in 1876) and RPO 65 (built in 1887) rehabilitated to service according to Secretary for the Interior Standards for historic preservation.  These cars were basket cases but were painstakingly rehabilitated to service including completely new passenger trucks as nothing of the originals remained.  In order to highlight the accomplishment, DRG 168 built in 1883 and completely rehabilitated (and rebuilt) also by special projects was run with the 3 cars that comprise the historic fleet currently at C&TS, these being coaches 292, 256, and RPO 65.  Two days of operation were undertaken putting over 120 miles on the locomotive and cars which all performed wonderfully.  The next car in the historic consist, Pay Car F, has entered the shop and work is begining on its full rehabilitation to service.  In addition to this work, k36 489 is back underway with the new smokebox complete and flues installed, and tubes being prepared for installation.  Thank you for your interest and your support of the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad!

Best,

Stathi

Efstathios I. Pappas, MS
Assistant General Manager
Special Projects Director

Date: 11/10/20 15:21
Re: Special projects at C&TS!!!!

more photos

Date: 11/10/20 16:42
Author: callum_out

Nice, but when yuh gonna go out and kidnap the 223?

Out 

Date: 11/10/20 17:56
Author: Bob3985

Nice photos. I recognize Max but not sure of the other two.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 11/10/20 18:01

Jake vigil and I

Best

Stathi

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/11/20 06:34
Author: Frisco1522

Beautiful work!  Making the impossible look easy!

Date: 11/11/20 08:25
Author: ajax247

That's a well-run railroad.

Date: 11/11/20 10:38
Author: UP3806

Thanks for the photos. Enjoyed your article about the 168 in the Dispatch!

Tom

Date: 11/11/20 11:15
Author: Cumbresfan

Sincere appreciation to you and your staff for the work on the engine and cars, and to Roger for his great videos of the small train arriving at Big Horn. Because of covid-19 and the many restrictions on travel, I missed the entire in-person season on the C&TS, and am so looking forward in 2021 to taking the trips I had scheduled behind the 168 and the historic lineup that had to be cancelled. In the meantime, I'm just enjoying the photos and your update.

Now is the next restoration, bringing a K-37 back on line for the C&TS?  (Always a steam fan question!)

Date: 11/11/20 11:18
Author: Bob3985

Kudos to you and the guys Strathi.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 11/11/20 13:18
Author: nycman

Keep up that fine work, Stathi.  Thanks for the report.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds