Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Steam & Excursion > KSBY Arroyo Grande Calif, WW 1 steam engine one of three left

Date: 11/11/20 12:54
KSBY Arroyo Grande Calif, WW 1 steam engine one of three left
Author: czuleget

Search KSBY 6 news and they have restored a WW 1 Era Steam locomotive, its the only operation engine out of three still in existence. 
https://www.ksby.com/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/20 12:58 by czuleget.

Date: 11/11/20 14:21
Re: KSBY Arroyo Grande Calif, WW 1 steam engine one of three lef
Author: masterphots

Interesting.  The city of AG was a client of mine for a number of years and I never learned of this gentleman and his railway.  And the then city manager knew I was a railfan too.

Date: 11/11/20 14:24
Author: Alco251

Recent development from your days hawking municipal finance biz. The 2' gauge railway will take tourists on a ride through the vineyards. Another nearby vineyard is putting the finishing touches on a 15" gauge railway for the same purpose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/20 13:01 by Alco251.

Date: 11/11/20 16:30
Author: elueck

The reporter for the newspaper apparently does not know that the armistice was signed in 1918, not 1928 as the article says.   Typical of today's reporters.

Date: 11/11/20 16:48
Author: Digger

elueck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The reporter for the newspaper apparently does not
> know that the armistice was signed in 1918, not
> 1928 as the article says.   Typical of today's
> reporters.

Before you publicly criticize others, you should probably make sure you get your facts straight. The armistice was signed in 1919, not 1918. Furthermore, the reporter works for the TV station, not a newspaper. Sometimes it is better to just give folks the benefit of the doubt. 

US Department of Veterans Affairs: History of Veterans Day

Chris Donhost
Vacaville, CA 

Date: 11/11/20 17:29
Author: px320

!918 is in fact correct. Garner, L.S. US Navy 1959-1963.

> > know that the armistice was signed in 1918, not
> > 1928 as the article says.   Typical of
> today's
> > reporters.
>
> Before you publicly criticize others, you should
> probably make sure you get your facts straight.
> The armistice was signed in 1919, not 1918.
> Furthermore, the reporter works for the TV
> station, not a newspaper. Sometimes it is better
> to just give folks the benefit of the doubt. 
>
> US Department of Veterans Affairs: History of
> Veterans Day
>
> Chris Donhost
> Vacaville, CA 

Date: 11/11/20 19:53
Author: elueck

The Armistice (or cease fire) went into effect at 11 AM, on November 11, 1918  ending the armed conflict.  The peace treaty was not signed until June, 1919 officially ending the war.  

Date: 11/12/20 05:05
Re: KSBY Arroyo Grande CA WW 1 steam eng one of ? left?
Author: PlyWoody

This is the WW1 locomotive photos taken by Karl ( bittercreek2486) posted 4 weeks ago as a new live locomotive, and now that we settled on the date of Armistice, can we now determine how many of these locomotives are left in the world?

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,5124457,5124457#msg-5124457

There are three in the USA that I know of, two owned by the gentleman who rebuilt this Davenport 1695 and I believe his other is Davenport #1705 [edited], and then there is one on covered display at a military base in GA.  I understand a tourist railroad in France operates one of these American built locomotives, and they may have a second.  There could be five or more left in the world.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/20 13:44 by PlyWoody.

Date: 11/12/20 05:54
Author: MaryMcPherson

As to the previous back and forth, a wise man once told me the following:

Person who lives in glass house should use neighbor's bathroom.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 11/12/20 09:09
Author: bittercreek2486

PlyWoody,
There are the three Davenports existing out of the eighty built. The two we have were delivered to the Army in May, 1919
The other is at the National Infantry Museum at Ft Benning, GA  It was the Davenport #1705
A couple of Baldwins running too, one in France and in the UK, and one Alco at Ffestinog in Wales.
The Ft Benning one is on a nice covered display, the Baldwin in France just recently restored.
Karl

Date: 11/12/20 13:41
Author: PlyWoody

Thank you Karl for the fine photos, and correcting the information that there are at least 6 Trench locomotives in the world and that three of them are the Davenport.  All were built from the same plan, used by Alco and Baldwin.
Did any of them make it to India or Africa?  Wonderful addition to the list of live locomotives in USA.  Since then a new fireup on a Northern Pacific locomotive.
We are still waiting to hear about the live testing of Western Maryland Scenic RR #1309.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0686 seconds