Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Steam & Excursion > Jackson, MI sells GTW 5030 to PA Tourist Railroad

Date: 01/18/21 10:25
Jackson, MI sells GTW 5030 to PA Tourist Railroad
Author: RuleG

The city council of Jackson, Michigan voted to sell Grand Trunk Western, 5030, a 4-6-2 to the Colebrookdale Railroad in Pennsylvania where it would be restored to be an operating locomotive.

https://www.fox47news.com/neighborhoods/jackson-hillsdale/jacksons-r-a-greene-park-locomotive-sold-to-pennsylvania-railroad-preservation-trust

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/21 11:04 by RuleG.

Date: 01/18/21 13:07
Re: Jackson, MI sells GTW 5030 to PA Tourist Railroad
Author: co614

Congrats to the Colebrookdale RR and to the City of Jackson. Under the capable leadership of Nathaniel Guest I'm confident that in due course it will be thoroughly restored and add a lot to the Colebrookdale's appeal. 

Certainly a MUCH better ending than the similar event in Louisianna. 

Ross Rowland 

Date: 01/18/21 13:31
Author: dpudave

I assume a scraping "event" in Lousiana? d

Date: 01/18/21 16:20
Author: Tominde

Wow $50,000 where is as is.  Anybody have an idea of the current condition?  

Date: 01/18/21 16:26

Tominde Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow $50,000 where is as is.  Anybody have an idea
> of the current condition?

This website, dated, 2016, has photos of the locomotive as displayed in the park.

http://www.rgusrail.com/migtw5030.html

Date: 01/18/21 18:17
Author: gbmott

The boiler jacket appears to still be in place which I assume means the asbestos lagging is as well.  If that is the case, the city should have paid Colebrookdale $50K to take it away rather than the other way around.  Just my opinion.

Gordon

Date: 01/18/21 18:19
Author: wp1801

Good looking locomotive!

Date: 01/18/21 19:35
Author: SantaFeCF7

dpudave Wrote:
>  I assume a scraping "event" in Lousiana? d

Cliff notes in a newspaper article: https://www.panews.com/2018/07/12/preservationist-kcs-engine-503-condemned-to-rot-at-park/

You can probably search KCS 503 if you want to know the rest of the story. 

Date: 01/18/21 19:44

wp1801 Wrote:
> Good looking locomotive!

I think that Grand Trunk Western/Canadian National steam locomotives were among the best looking steam locomotives.

Date: 01/19/21 05:24
Author: dpudave

SantaFeCF7 Wrote:
> dpudave Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >  I assume a scraping "event" in Louisiana? d
>
> Cliff notes in a newspaper
> article: https://www.panews.com/2018/07/12/preser
> vationist-kcs-engine-503-condemned-to-rot-at-park/
>
>
> You can probably search KCS 503 if you want to
> know the rest of the story. 
Thanks for the reference. A pathetic story. d

Date: 01/19/21 08:34
Author: Erierail

I'm assuming the railroad see its historic value, rather than the cost of abatement. At the end of the day, let's hope they have very deep pockets, its a good looking steamer. I wish them well.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/19/21 09:40
Author: steamfan759

I sure hope this organization has a TON of money on hand.  You are already starting out $50K in the hole and then add on the moving costs.   I hope that this is not another project that starts out with great expectations and then falls flat when they run out of funding.  I wish them well but the current climate is not the time to even consider a project of this nature, just my humble opinion!  I love steam, but I would hate to see another unfinished project!

Ron

Date: 01/19/21 14:50
Author: PlyWoody

Does anyone see this search and purchase of GTW 5030 as a giant failure of Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum?  This is how the museum could make a profit rebuilding and selling or leasing locomotives.  I used to read that this was their original intent or mission to foster steam operations for more lines.  They just didn't want to be libel for injuries by operating their own excursions.

The R&LHS new Quarterly Newsletter has the part 2 of the Museum's equipment and photo shows they have a PRR box car which would very likely fit the search request of the EBT Foundation's interest in obtaining some Standard Gauge cars for display on three foot gauge trucks.  I hope they make arrangeement for sale or lease.  Why does not the AoSRM obtain the EBT #3 or #6?  Both need some real serious help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/21 15:01 by PlyWoody.

Date: 01/19/21 15:55
Author: wabash2800

Was this the one displayed by the sewage plant?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 01/20/21 08:25
Author: choodude

PlyWoody Wrote:
> Does anyone see this search and purchase of GTW 5030 as a giant failure of Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum? 

Ah NO!

It sure did not take long for the miracle that saved Bessemer & Lake Erie 634 from scrapping to be forgotten.

Brian

Date: 01/20/21 17:54
Author: mdogg

choodude Wrote:
> PlyWoody Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Does anyone see this search and purchase of GTW
> 5030 as a giant failure of Age of Steam Roundhouse
> Museum? 
>
>
> Ah NO!
>
> It sure did not take long for the miracle that
> saved Bessemer & Lake Erie 634 from scrapping to
> be forgotten.
>
> Brian

100% agree.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/20/21 18:40
Author: elueck

Ross may be going back all the way to the saga of SP (T&NO) 2-8-2 #743 that was displayed in a park in Lafayette, LA.   The City decided about 1976-77 that the locomotive was an eye sore and was "dangerous" (actually they needed parking for the golf course clubhouse that was part of the park).  The 743, when laid up in the 1950's was one of the locomotives with virtually no running time after its last overhaul, and was put into wonderful condition by the SP shops in Houston.   20 years of total neglect by the City of Lafayette followed.   When it became known that the City was planning to dispose of (scrap) the locomotive, the State of Texas was creating the Texas State Railroad state park, and I have been told that they made an offer for the locomotive.  The Lafayette city council reportedly turned down the request immediately and ordered the locomotive scrapped. 

All that I personally can testify to is that the locomotive was there when I moved to from Lafayette to west Texas in 1976 and was gone when I moved back to Lafayette in 1979.  I officed for a brief time with a candidate for Mayor of the city, and when I asked him about it, he basically told me that he was not going to talk about it at all.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1214 seconds