Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Steam & Excursion > 1947 UP action west of Cheyenne - Part 1 - Ralph Hallock

Date: 01/29/21 09:48
1947 UP action west of Cheyenne - Part 1 - Ralph Hallock
Author: Conch

These three  images are some of the last of Ralph Hallocks time spent around Cheyenne in April of 1947.  I believe these are from the same day (4-12-1947)  as the posts of the Greyhounds in Cheyenne that I put up earlier.  Looking at the Kodak number stamps on these and the previously posted images, he came out here first and got the Cheyenne depot images later.  And like before, the image quality (sharpness) isn't the best but the content is pretty decent. Whatever info I have comes from what Ralph wrote on the slide mounts or from his corresponding b&w images from the Colorado Railroad Museum. I'll try and get the last three up tomorrow.  Corrections or updated information always welcome.

1)  (slide 1)  Ralph lists this as #17 which indicates that it's a westbound but the lighting says to me that it's an eastbound.   Any thoughts?

2)  (slide 2 and 3)    This is train 103, the City of Los Angeles Ralph's note says this is the City of Portland, but the number board on the 807 say 103 and the cars in image 3 are City of LA cars.  

Date: 01/29/21 11:07
Re: 1947 UP action west of Cheyenne - Part 1 - Ralph Hallock
Author: mamfahr

> 1)  (slide 1)  Ralph lists this as #17 which indicates that it's a westbound but the lighting says to me that it's an eastbound.   Any thoughts?

Looks like the photo was taken just west of Cheyenne, with the train headed east on the Colorado Division main track.  I can't comment on the train number without doing some digging around, but I can say it appears to be a "westbound" train so an odd number like 17 would fit with the photo. 

The reason for that oddity is that the mainline from Denver was (timetable) westbound if traveling north - at the location where the mainline met the Overland Route west of Cheyenne (station name Corlett Jct), the track curved to the east and entered Cheyenne via Tower A.  The photo appears to have been taken along that segment of track just west of Tower A.  So a "westbound" train like 17 running from Denver to Cheyenne would have entered Cheyenne heading east...

Take care,

Mark

Date: 01/29/21 15:21
Re: 1947 UP action west of Cheyenne - Part 1 - Ralph Hallock
Author: Keystone1

And gentlemen...that film was ASA 10.

Date: 01/29/21 20:00
Re: 1947 UP west of Cheyenne - Part 1 - Ralph Hallock
Author: timz

Don't have a calendar -- it says 103 ran three days a week

UP-ETT-1947_WYOMING-DIV_158_Don-Strack.pdf (utahrails.net)

Apparently the E6s were on #9.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0381 seconds