Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Steam & Excursion > 1522 Barking In The Rain

Date: 02/23/21 14:02
1522 Barking In The Rain
Author: MaryMcPherson

A thread recently asked about Frisco 1522's status among the loudest excursion engines.  With a nod to that thread, here is another sound clip from my files featuring the Frisco Filly barking upgrade on a rainy day.

Crank it up!

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/23/21 15:09
Re: 1522 Barking In The Rain
Author: tomstp

Excellent Mary, I know Don will like that.

Date: 02/23/21 15:17
Author: NKP779

Exactly what whistle is the 1522 carrying?  Is it her original Frisco whistle?

Date: 02/23/21 15:34

NKP779 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Exactly what whistle is the 1522 carrying?  Is it
> her original Frisco whistle?

That's correct.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL

Date: 02/23/21 20:12
Author: Frisco1522

Nice sound.  Was that actually in the rain or a soundover?   When did you record it?  Almost sounds like Rolla Hill.
My wife calls that my "mating call".

Date: 02/23/21 20:38

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was that actually in the rain or a soundover?
It's a studio mix.  The rain was recorded in Elkville, Illinois, from the window of my apartment.

> When did you record it?
2001 NRHS trip.

> Almost sounds like Rolla Hill.
It's the "other" one: Iron Hill.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL

Date: 02/24/21 04:39
Author: dpudave

I did crank it up. Ripples in my coffee cup. Thanks. d

Date: 02/24/21 06:37
Author: milwrdfan

Marvelous!

Date: 02/24/21 07:02
Author: Frisco1522

Very nice "mood" recording. I can picture laying in bed and hearing that at night.
2001 NRHS was Hannibal round trip one day and Newburg the next.  We had just gotten back from the BNSF EAS down TX way.  I had to come home for business on the last 4 days of that trip and when I rejoined them in KC the other two engineers said I should take us home from KC and do the two convention trips.
I put up a helluva fight, but they made me do it anyway. LOL.
Hannibal trip was painful, delays, waiting in sidings and whatever and we got home pretty late.  I almost hog lawed.
Next morning, a BNSF official who was on our board came up and apologized for all the delays and said he had made a couple of discrete calls and today would be better.  It was!  Everything was in the hole for us and we only stopped once going for a photo runby.   This old man's bladder was ready to explode by the time we got to Newburg and turn the train.  We did a couple of runbys in Newburg and got back to Lindenwood in really good time.  He detrained there to catch a flight and had us do two runbys in the Lindenwood yard. (I think it was two).   Really surprised my fireman and me.   Those who know him knows he's one of the good guys.
I'l like to go back and do that Newburg trip again.  It was  Dad's old division and I could feel him watching me.
Good days.

Date: 02/26/21 11:15
Author: Cumbresfan

Mary,

Thanks for the audio of 1522. Unfortunately I never got to see her in action though I did visit her retirement location in Saint Louis a couple of years ago.

Speaking of videos, here is a link to one of them most vivid steam videos of recent years, and you commented on it too. One of the best comments was from this fan (mwarfel):
"Perfectly still camera, subdued voices in the background, pattering of rain, lightning and thunder, the grade crossing bell, the Mars light, and the power of the passing loco - wow."

NKP 765: Steam, Storm and Awe at Blue Island
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,4322449,4324484#msg-4324484

I visit that link every so often just to see the power of steam and a fully lit passenger train in a storm at night.

Date: 03/06/21 11:31
Author: Ardenwood

Thank you for posting!  I was at some NRHS convention and heard he coming up a hill.  Beautiful bark!  Haruo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0517 seconds