Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Steam & Excursion > SP 18 Returning to Durango

Date: 04/09/21 04:59
SP 18 Returning to Durango
Author: YardLimit

SP 18 will be returning to Durango this summer to provide another oil burner to the roster.  

Date: 04/09/21 07:57
Re: SP 18 Returning to Durango
Author: webmaster

They get $7500 a month with DSNGRR,  Is that a fair deal?  The 50/50 split for photo charters seems good for CCR:

6. COMPENSATION. As consideration for this sublease, a monetary rent of $7500 per month will be paid by DSNGRR to CCR, additionally, the DSNGRR shall maintain the subleased property in at least as good a condition as at the initiation of this sublease, normal wear and tear excepted. All work herein is to be performed by employees of DSNGRR without promise, expectation, or receipt of any compensation for work performed. This shall not prevent DSNGRR from making donations to CCR in the form of third-party materials or labor it chooses to purchase in order to improve the condition of the leased property during the Sublease. DSNGRR will pay for and coordinate all transportation costs from Independence, CA to Durango, CO and return, and DSNGRR will assume any risk of loss or damage to persons or property (including but not limited to the subleased property) during transit to and from Durango, CO. 7. USE. DSNGRR may use the subleased property for passenger ride purposes, as discussed more fully below. The DSNGRR may use the subleased property at their discretion for a maximum of 150 steam service days, unless otherwise mutually agreed upon. In addition, if the subleased property is used on any DSNGRR special charter trains, those ticket sales will be split 50/50 with CCR. DSNGRR may also use Page 2 the subleased property for any Public Relations benefit, advertising, or marketing, so long as Inyo County and CCR are given credit where appropriate. 

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 04/09/21 10:07
Author: callum_out

Sounds like a good deal for CCRW. D&S did some substantial work during the last charter on the 18 and it'll be good too see it
out running on the road again. Send it to Antonito next for oil burner training!

Out 

Date: 04/09/21 10:21

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like a good deal for CCRW. D&S did some
> substantial work during the last charter on the 18
> and it'll be good too see it
> out running on the road again. Send it to Antonito
> next for oil burner training!
>
> Out 

Definitely!

Date: 04/09/21 20:09
Author: Dreamer

YardLimit Wrote:
> callum_out Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sounds like a good deal for CCRW. D&S did some
> > substantial work during the last charter on the
> 18
> > and it'll be good too see it
> > out running on the road again. Send it to
> Antonito
> > next for oil burner training!
> >
> > Out 
>
> Definitely!

What makes you believe that no one there has any oil experience that 18 is needed?

Dreamer

Posted from Android

Date: 04/10/21 07:51

The CMO at Antonito has experience with oil firing and as such 18 wouldn't be needed for training. It would be neat to see
it to see it running out of Antonito though.

Out 

Date: 04/10/21 13:49
Author: Dreamer

There is a few there with oil experince. Claiming they need training so railfans can get photos is B.S.

Dreamer

Posted from Android

Date: 04/10/21 15:34
Author: jbwest

I'm just glad 18 is going back to the D&S so that maybe I can get some pix without all this darn snow in the way.

JBWX

Date: 04/10/21 15:37
Author: dan

drought maps show a need for oil  now,    can you dam that snow?

Date: 04/10/21 15:58

jbwest Wrote:
> I'm just glad 18 is going back to the D&S so that
> maybe I can get some pix without all this darn
> snow in the way.
>
> JBWX

Beautiful shot!

Date: 04/10/21 17:15
Author: MP4093

Snow gives a different look to the 18. Yeah, with all that darn snow and steam it just makes that black engine jump out at you. Nice image.

Date: 04/10/21 17:39
Author: zr1rob

Has anyone heard if there are plans to restore #9 to powered status?

Date: 04/11/21 11:26

It's been talked about for years, it would take an experienced group such at the C&C group and some large donations. There
isn';t the work base available in the Lwqs group to undertake it If the track extension becomes reality there might be a greater
effort to consider it.

Out 

Date: 04/11/21 17:19
Author: wcamp1472

What's the source of all that leaking steam around the piston rods?

Great clouds of steam, not from the cylinder cocks, can be a concern...

I'm curious, that doesn't look normal to me.

W.

Date: 04/11/21 17:43
Author: jbwest

In looking at a number pf pix the leakage seems to be from the valve stem, not the pistons.  I remember the D&S had to do some work on the engine, but it has been too long for me the remember the details, assuming I even understood them.  Maybe somebody with more knowledge and a better memory can provide more facts.  I don't remember the 18 doing all that well on the D&S's grades, I was a bit surprised (but pleased) to hear it will be returning.  It is a neat small engine.

JBWX

Date: 04/11/21 18:18
Author: wcamp1472

With slide valves ( outside admission) it makes sense that boiler pressure 
leaking out the valve stem packing could be the source ....
That's a large amount of steam escaping.

I'd hope they'd get that fixed..  That leakage cam materially reduce the pressure 
at the piston faces..

Oh, well... 

Good Catch, though.

W.

Date: 04/15/21 17:11
Author: PlyWoody

It is already on the Durango turntable.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0811 seconds