Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Steam & Excursion > #18 running on the D&SNG

Date: 06/19/21 11:47
#18 running on the D&SNG
Author: superheat

My wife and I will be visiting Durango this Friday on June 25.  Does anyone know if #18 will be running?

Thanks in advance

Date: 06/19/21 13:08
Re: #18 running on the D&SNG
Author: Hermosa45

Mondays through Wednesdays have been the best days to see #18. It is usually doubleheaded with 493. So far, those appear to be the best ridership days, but it could change. Diesel 107 leaves at 8:00 for Silverton and hasn't missed a trip so far. 
The second train which leaves Durango for Silverton at 9:00 is a heavy one--14-15 cars. 18 has been a helper, but sometimes 473 will fill in. One day 480 and 493 were used. If a helper is used, it will be run light from Durango to Hermosa, arriving around 9:30AM. The train follows 20 minures or so behind. They will then doublehead out of Hermosa. The third train is a Cascade Turn, usually 473. (473, 480 and 493 are all oil burners, and can be used in any combination.) Word has it that DSNG has decided to convert their other locomotives to oil--maybe just a rumor? 

If 18 is used, it will return light, leaving Rockwood at around 5:10PM. There are good pictures at Shalona Crossing, and all along from Hermosa to Durango. One commonly missed is jusrt south of the bridge at 15th Street at Durango, about 2 blocks south of the Animas River Bridge--good light even after 6:00PM. Typically, there can be nice light for the arriving  trains at Silverton, but it has clouded up by the time the southbounds leave. If you are following it on US550, watch your step, lots of bicyclists and some of the worst traffic I have eve rseen here in the 25 years I have lived here. 

This information is based on what combinations have run so far--the trains are fairly well patronized, so I think it is fair to say that any power can run any time. I live about 200 feet from the track north of Pinkerton-so these are observations, and a few shots of trains. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0313 seconds