Home Open Account Help 404 users online

Steam & Excursion > AFT Move Notes-Colorado Springs

Date: 06/23/21 12:11
AFT Move Notes-Colorado Springs
Author: ATSF5669

Regarding Boilingman's ongoing recount of the AFT here: https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,5274957,5274957#msg-5274957

First, let me say how enjoyable this ongoing account of the Freedom Train has been.  Thank you for taking the time to recount all these tales, and to everyone who has contributed their recollections of it.  

My one and only encounter with the AFT was during it's display in early October 1975 in Colorado Springs.  At that time I was in the 10th Armoured Calvary in Ft. Carson just south of the Springs.  We had a flyer posted in what was known as our Day Room in my squadron announcing it.  Being on duty prevented me from seeing it on it's trip into the Springs.  However my afternoons and evenings were open, and I took advantage of these opportunities to see it.  My first visit was in civilian clothes.  In talking with one of the crew I learned that had I been in uniform I would have been granted free admission, which I did the following day.  But my interest was the BN Bicentennial locomotives more than the train.  There was no way for me to know 4449 wasn't on the train until I arrived and saw the head end, which as I recall was quite the disappointment.  The attached pictures are from an afternoon visit and then a return for night photos. Note for the camera nerds who remember night photography in the 70's: the night pics were illuminated with an old Graflex reflector and 25B bulbs while the camera was set for a time exposure.  If any of you who have contributed to this story would like these pics please let me know as you're welcome to have them.  In my recollecitions I do not recall seeing any other pictures of the train in the Springs.  It was three years later that I would become a brakeman on the Santa Fe working onf the Joint Line, and would meet the engineer who brought the train south out of Denver, a superb engineer if ever there was one, Larry Kreger.  He recounted running a passenger train with a freight locomotive that had a 26RL brake valve, and how many people were lineside to view its passing.

Date: 06/23/21 12:18
Re: AFT Move Notes-Colorado Springs

Three more.

Date: 06/23/21 12:22

The last two.

Date: 06/23/21 12:42
Author: cozephyr

Terrific B&W images of the American Freedom Train at Colorado Springs, CO.  Love the night images.  I encountered the AFT at Grand Forks, ND, during my serivce years.

Date: 06/23/21 12:42
Author: M-420

Excellent!

Like you, I was stationed at Fort Carson at the time (Mechanized Infantry), and like you I found out about the AFT coming to town thanks to a flyer posted on a bulletin board. 

I remember too, the disappointment of finding out the train was pulled by the bicentennials instead of 4449.
Who knew that I would have MANY more opportunities to see and photograph the 4-8-4, while I would see the diesels only this one time. 

Thank you for the photos and for your service. 

Brian E 

Date: 06/26/21 07:45
Author: dan

I got my dad to run me down there, still was neat with out the 4449

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0655 seconds