Home Open Account Help 204 users online

Steam & Excursion > Shay No. 7 at Roaring Camp

Date: 09/07/21 12:25
Shay No. 7 at Roaring Camp
Author: jbwest

What is the current status of the former WSL 7 that was restored by Roaring Camp, haven't seen or heard anything about her is some time.

JBWX

Date: 09/07/21 15:28
Re: Shay No. 7 at Roaring Camp
Author: Earlk

As of a few weeks ago when I visited, #7 was in the shop, stripped down for overhaul.  The firebox had been removed awaiting replacement.

Dixianna was working the hill,  X-West Side Heisler #3 (RCBT #2) was being fired up for second section duty over the weekend.

Date: 09/07/21 15:41

Earl, what is the grade on the switchback?  A friend and I were there over the holiday weekend and hiked to the switchback.   Shay No. 1 went up the switchback working hard but unassisted, then the little diesel showed up lite and when Heisler No. 2 (I still think of it as WSL 3) arrived with the second section, the diesel helped it up the switchback.  The switchback is almost buried in sand!  Made me think that the 7 would come in handly on holidays.  My friend is a civil engineer and we were wondering what the limit of adhesion was.....how steep can an adhesion railroad get.  Great little railroad.  

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/21 15:44 by jbwest.

Date: 09/07/21 15:46
Author: zephyrus

jbwest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Earl, what is the grade on the switchback?  A
> friend and I were there over the holiday weekend
> and hiked to the switchback.   Shay No. 1 went up
> the switchback working hard but unassisted, then
> the little diesel showed up lite and when Heisler
> No. 2 (I still think of it as WSL 3) arrived with
> the second section, the diesel helped it up the
> switchback.  The switchback is almost buried in
> sand!  Made me think that the 7 would come in
> handly on holidays.  My friend is a civil
> engineer and we were wondering what the limit of
> adhesion was.....how steep can an adhesion
> railroad get.  Great little railroad.  
>
> JBWX

I have heard that one section of that switchback maxes out at 10% or 11%.

Z

Date: 09/07/21 16:10
Author: DKay

I loved this place.Do they have plans to rebuild the burnt trestle at some stage.
Regards,DK

Date: 09/07/21 16:29

DKay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do they have plans to rebuild
> the burnt trestle at some stage.

I was told by a local fan (who may or may not really know) that the railroad is comfortable with the current switchback arrangement, and has no plans to rebuilt the trestles.  The remains of the trestles are very visible but difficult to photograph,  or at least I did not have much luck.

JBWX

Date: 09/07/21 19:38
Author: callum_out

I'd heard 13% which seems a bit ambitious but I could buy 10%. From the last car you can look down on the top
of the cab roof! I can understand the expense on the bridge, but the ride over the bridge was way better than the
switchback!

Out 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/21 19:39 by callum_out.

Date: 09/07/21 20:05
Author: Harlock

9.5% at the top end according to one long time engineer and fireman.

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 09/07/21 20:58
Here is what ten percent looks like

This is a down train at the upper switch.  Whatever the actual grade, it is impressive.

JBWX

Date: 09/07/21 21:57
Re: Here is what ten percent looks like
Author: Earlk

I remember being told 10% when I worked there.  It is steeper than the mainline ruling grade of 8.48% just below Grizzly Flats. 

There are always dreams of rebuilding the Spring Canyon Loop, but reality is something else..

The trains running now are 6 car affairs.  When I was there we were limited to 5 cars because of the switchback tails.  They must have extended the tails to run 6 car trains.   6 cars might be too much for the Heisler to get up the switchback as I recall the throttle-wide-open-in-the-corner-treading-sand all-the-way blast up the switchback with 5 cars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/21 22:00 by Earlk.

Date: 09/07/21 22:59

I seem to be continuing a tradition started when I was chasing the West Side Lumber trains 60 years ago.....never get the working side of the Shay if I can avoid it.  Dah.

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/21 23:08 by jbwest.

Date: 09/10/21 07:43
Author: webmaster

While the bridge would be nice to have back, navigating the switchbacks is pretty entertaining.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.04 seconds