Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Steam & Excursion > Highline: A Different View of the 493 with a Mixed Train

Date: 09/18/21 08:42
Highline: A Different View of the 493 with a Mixed Train
Author: spider1319

From the the Trains Charter earlier this month a slightly different view is pictured below.It took a little bit of climbing but the Animas River can be seen in the image.Almost everybody stayed at ground level. Bill Webb

Date: 09/18/21 09:26
Re: Highline: A Different View of the 493 with a Mixed Train
Author: PlyWoody

Was this excursion way under patronized?  Trains Magazine had space a few days before it was to run.  I hope they sold that space and made some profit on running these specials.  I fear that Trains lost money and that would discourage them or other to pay for these specials.  Is it not time to get over the foolishness of white push pockets?  Trains paid to repaint the entire side of the tender and they can't paint over the pole pockets which dated that train to not look like a D&RGW engine. The D&RGW never painted push pole pockets, and their is no reason to do so now.  It proves nothing except dates the image to be wrong.

Date: 09/18/21 09:55
Author: spider1319

I think it was sold out.The number of participants was just below the advertised sixty, not present who were no shows.The excursion was well organized by both Trains and the D&SNG and everyone seemed to be happy with their runby locations.Bill Webb

Date: 09/18/21 11:24
Author: mrwalsh85

Further, this was hot on the heels of a very long VHIR down in Chama/Antonito, so lots of folks had already shelled out lots of cash for train rides, chasing, food and lodging.

Tacking this on just adds more expense and this was also planned vacation for many in '20 that they had to make the decision to burn in '21. This may have been the nail in the coffin for folks who couldn't attend the 493 charter.

Date: 09/18/21 12:35
Author: railstiesballast

I think this is one of the very best compositions of any train photo anywhere.
The river far below, the curves, the rocks, the trees, and of course the locomotive and cars all fit together perfectly.
I would guess that for a morning shot the indirect lighting works best, but if someone can reach that spot for some direct afternoon sun it would be fun to see how the shadows from the mountain would fall on the train and track.

Date: 09/18/21 13:17
Author: callum_out

Years ago D&S was pretty sketchy over photo runbys on the Hiline but since them some pretty amzing shots
have developed. Very nice shot there sir, but that's not what a Rio Grande mixed looked line on that line but
sorta close 

Out 

Date: 09/18/21 13:48
Author: CedarRapids

I am not sure if this charter was sold out but as someone who participated in it, it was a fantastic experience, extremely memorable and well worth the money.  The crew, those behind the scenes organizing it, Trains Magazine (Jim Wrinn, Cate Kratville-Wrinn and Kevin Gilliam) and others who made this possible are to be thanked and congratulated for all the work and logistics in putting the two-day event together. 

To me, the number of participants was just right and the runbys with 493 (in addition to Southern Pacific 18 on the second day) were excellent and the mostly multiple opportunities at each of the numerous locations allowed for different viewpoints and aspects.  The crew was very accommodating and worked hard to ensure everyone achieved the most out of the event.

Excellent photograph, by the way!

Elizabeth

Date: 09/18/21 14:28
Author: Frisco1522

White pole pockets?  Seriously?  Now I won't be able to sleep for a week.  How about the oil bunker?
Did the complainers buy tickets?  Oh the humanities.

Date: 09/18/21 15:04
Author: callum_out

Hello? See the elephant? A K37 on a Silverton mixed?

Out

Date: 09/18/21 18:22
Author: jgilmore

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> White pole pockets?  Seriously?  Now I won't be
> able to sleep for a week.  How about the oil
> bunker?
> Did the complainers buy tickets?  Oh the
> humanities.

Exactly my first thought, wanted to smash my computer when I saw those pockets!! Lol...

JG

Date: 09/22/21 16:53
Author: ns1000

Nice pic!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0649 seconds