Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Steam & Excursion > NN Meet at Lane City

Date: 10/06/21 10:54
NN Meet at Lane City
Author: GRNDMND

Nevada Northern Railway's northbound excursion train with 2-8-0 #93 in charge, is returning to East Ely, Nevada after a trip up to Keystone on September 25, 2021. In the siding at Lane is engine #81 with a short freight train out on the line for photographers. After #93 clears, #81 will back out of the siding and continue with more photo ops for the photogs. Thanks for looking in!

KC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/21 12:08 by GRNDMND.

Date: 10/06/21 11:59
Re: NN Meet at Lane City
Author: Kemacprr

How much of the whole NN is in service ? How much is OOS and any ideas on opening up more RR to operation ? -- Thanks, Ken 

Date: 10/06/21 12:20

Kemacprr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How much of the whole NN is in service ? How much
> is OOS and any ideas on opening up more RR to
> operation ? -- Thanks, Ken 

They currently operate from Keystone (Ruth) to Eeast Ely and from East Ely up to Hi Line Jct. That's MP 146 to MP 135. In non-high fire season they can operate on the Hi Line toward Mc Gill about another 2 or 3 miles. On the mainline to McGill they can go as far as MP 133 or 130. They are in the process of securing a grant from the state to rehab the track into McGill, another 3 miles I believe, but that entails another crossing of US Hwy 93 and some minor crossings in McGill. The US Hwy 93 crossing would require the latest in crossing protection, read big $$$$. They have restored the NN depot in McGill and they want to be able to run to there from East Ely. They have other projects in the works as well. They will start the rebuilding of ten-wheeler #40 after the first of the year and they are raising funds now, to bring two historic diesel locomotives back to East Ely. One is the last remaining RSD4 in existance, #201 bought new by Kennecot Copper Nevada Mines Div. The other is SD7 #401, the only diesel ever bought by the Nevada Northern Railway proper. Go on their website to see what all they are up to and maybe become a member. www.nnry.com

KC

Date: 10/06/21 16:18
Author: callum_out

Their total moving cost of $250K for the two locomotives was interesting. Buddy of mine did a custom paint of the SD7 in O scale and
hasn't been the same since. Some of those eaely schemes were really intricate and of course no decals were available. I hope that Mark
and the city are finally at peace, that property is too valuable to screw around with in the name of local politics. Nice shot there sir, I had
some MSHA training in Ely, was surprised they let me into town.

Out 

Date: 10/06/21 21:58

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Their total moving cost of $250K for the two
> locomotives was interesting. Buddy of mine did a
> custom paint of the SD7 in O scale and
> hasn't been the same since. Some of those eaely
> schemes were really intricate and of course no
> decals were available. I hope that Mark
> and the city are finally at peace, that property
> is too valuable to screw around with in the name
> of local politics. Nice shot there sir, I had
> some MSHA training in Ely, was surprised they let
> me into town.

All seems to be well for now in Ely. Gotta say, without the NN, Ely would be a ghost town. No othere reason to go there, except it is on US 50, US 93 and US 6. 

KC

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0591 seconds