Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Steam & Excursion > Some Of These Locomotives Worked For Very Obscure Owners!

Date: 11/25/21 04:57
Some Of These Locomotives Worked For Very Obscure Owners!
Author: LoggerHogger

Some steam locomotives carried the names of owners that most folks had never heard of, even back in the day.  Here is one such locomotive.

Seen here in 1939, at Underwood, Washington, we see the freshly painted and lettered Natt McDougal #2.  She was built by Lima in 1913 as a stock locomotive and was shipped to Lima's West Coast Dealer, Hofius Steel & Equipment.  She was soon purchased by the Silver Falls Timber Co. of Silverton, Oregon.  She would later be sold to the Westport Timber Co. of Mist, Oregon and even later would go to Western Lumber out of Westfir, Oregon.

After her time at Westfir was over, she was sold to the Natt McDougal Company to log for them out of Underwood.  Finally she would be sold one last time, and would work for Guy F. Atkinson in Morro Bay, California.  She would be scrapped there in 1944.

Had it not been for this one photo snapped of her in 1939, we might never have heard of her or the Natt McDougal Company.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/21 05:25 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 11/25/21 08:13
Re: Some Of These Locomotives Worked For Very Obscure Owners!
Author: moonliter

Why was the steam line (pipe) from the boiler to the cylinders so far below the steam dome as opposed to coming directly off the steam dome?  Were there pros or cons to each of the different locations?  I take it that both locations were for saturated locomotives. I have checked Appendix "B" of your fabulous The Shay Locomotive book but my eyes are having slight problem reading the small print on the drawings.

Happy Thanksgiving 
Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 11/25/21 08:16
Author: LoggerHogger

There were several different throttle arrangements used by Lima on the saturated Shays.  The type of throttle used dictated the location and design of the steam dleivery pipe to the manifold.

Martin

Date: 11/25/21 08:23
Author: 2-10-2

As always, an interesting history Martin.
As I live in San Luis Obispo, I was trying to figure out what the engine's role was in the Morro Bay area during the WWII era. I can't think of any significant projects (dams - one of Guy F. Atkinson's key project types at the time) around here that might explain it, except maybe a highway connecting the coast with the inland areas or work around the Camp San Luis Obispo area for troop housing and camp roads?

2-10-2

Date: 11/25/21 09:18
Author: smf2mry

2-10-2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As always, an interesting history Martin.
> As I live in San Luis Obispo, I was trying to
> figure out what the engine's role was in the Morro
> Bay area during the WWII era. I can't think of any
> significant projects (dams - one of Guy F.
> Atkinson's key project types at the time) around
> here that might explain it, except maybe a highway
> connecting the coast with the inland areas or work
> around the Camp San Luis Obispo area for troop
> housing and camp roads?
>
> 2-10-2

Could it have been used to build the breakwater at Morro Bay?

Date: 11/25/21 09:57
Author: 2-10-2

smf2mry Wrote:
> Could it have been used to build the breakwater at
> Morro Bay?

I did not consider that!
From Morro Bay's Wikipedia entry: "During World War II, there was a U.S. Navy base, Amphibious Training Base Morro Bay on the north side of Morro Rock where sailors were trained to operate LCVPs. The breakwater on the southwest side of the Rock was built in 1944–45 to protect the LCVPs entering and leaving the harbor. Soldiers from Camp San Luis Obispo would come to Morro Bay and practice loading into the LCVPs. Many of those men were at Normandy on D-Day."
And: " Some of the rock used for this and for the artificial breakwaters was quarried from Morro Rock itself. Other rock was imported by barge from Catalina Island"

I can see how the Shay could be used to take rock quarried from Morro Rock and from the Catalina barge out to the breakwater.
Thanks!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds