Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Steam & Excursion > She Was Put To Work Before Her New Owner Could Add Her Name!

Date: 11/28/21 02:02
She Was Put To Work Before Her New Owner Could Add Her Name!
Author: LoggerHogger

After she ran her last freight from Oakdale to Jamestown the day after the April, 17, 1955 Farewell To Steam Excursion on the Sierra Railroad, 2-6-6-2 #38 waited out the summer in Jamestown before being sold in August that year to Rayonier.  She was shipped to Railroad Camp in September and soon put to work once again hauling logs as she had previously done for her first owner Weyerhaeuser Timber.

When she was put into service on Rayonier, they retained the "#38" she had been given on the Sierra Railroad.  Her tender was given a quick coating of black paint to cover up the Sierra lettering but her cab was left with the large #38 applied in Jamestown.  It took nearly a year of service out of Railroad Camp before the distinctive "Rayonier" lettering was applied to her tender.  In June, 1956, when Al Farrow visited her at her new home, this is how she looked.

The other 3 former Weyerhaeuser Timber logging mallets had arrived at Railroad Camp the year earlier in 1954.  #38 was the last to arrive.  Soon the shop sign painter would be summoned to apply the Rayonier logo to her tender and she would ready for another 11 years of logging service for her new owner.

Martin

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/21 02:20 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 11/28/21 14:44
Re: She Was Put To Work Before Her New Owner Could Add Her Name!
Author: TCnR

Did a quick check on TO and this is the locomotive that still exists at Merrill, Oregon:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,5080859,5081108#5081108

Date: 11/28/21 15:58
Author: JDLX

I also find it somewhat interesting this locomotive effectively closed out the steam era and was replaced by Baldwin diesels on three different operations. I wonder how many other steam locomotives can say that?

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/28/21 16:13
Author: callum_out

Magma Arizona, Amador Central, Oregon & Northwestern, Weyerhauser, Sierra and I could probably think
of a few more.

Out 

Date: 11/28/21 17:40
Author: JDLX

I don’t think you understood what I said, callum_out…what I said was that Baldwin diesels replaced this specific locomotive at the end of steam on three successive operations, first on Weyerhaeuser Klamath, then on Sierra, and finally on Rayonier. This engine didn’t work for any of the others you listed, and for that matter I don’t really understand whatever point you were trying to make, especially that at least a couple railroads on your list either dieselized with non-Baldwin products or mixed builder rosters? What were you trying to say?

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds