Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Steam & Excursion > What happened to Santa Fe 2926 Website?

Date: 01/10/22 11:31
What happened to Santa Fe 2926 Website?
Author: WauhopM

They used to have regular updates photos and the like now the last set of photos was posted on Nov 20 and the last work status was on July 31st. I guess if its because of the Covid still raging I could understand but wow they were allways putting up info as to the progress of the restoration.

Date: 01/10/22 12:10
Re: What happened to Santa Fe 2926 Website?
Author: SCAX3401

That is a good question.  The website front page has Happy New Year and a notice about the 2022 Safety Meeting so its being maintained.  As a member, we use to get weekly updates by Gail Kirby, who I believe is the wife of the Chief Mechanical Officer.  However, those emails stopped cold about one year ago.  Instead I get the occasional spam email in her name (account hacked?) and the occasional official email, but no real status updates (with the exception of the CMO Status Report in July 2021).  Until this morning, I haven't gotten an email from them since October (this morning's email was the 2022 Safety Meeting notice).  The constant updates made us members far away from Alburquerque feel like we were part of the organization.  I seems that ever since steam up, the organization has pretty much left those of us that aren't there in person out to dry.  Do we not count anymore since they got the steamer basically finished?  I will most likely not renew my membership as I no longer feel as part of the organization (even if its a very tiny, tiny part).

Date: 01/10/22 12:32
Author: Stevo_Weimario

Might I suggest that before you decide to withhold further financial assistance, you wait for more details.

I have no doubt that all assistance is appreciated.

S_W

Posted from Android

Date: 01/10/22 13:37
Author: nathansixchime

Date: 01/10/22 16:34
Author: radar

Considering the holidays, November 20 wasn't all that long ago.  Chances are less was going on and fewer volunteers were working from Thanksgiving week through New Years, so no recent photos.

Date: 01/10/22 17:19
Author: kennbritt

Through the years I have been a donor to both organizations, 4449/2926, and others. That will not change. I think there is some over reaction here.

Kennard Britton
Bedford, TX

Date: 01/12/22 13:38
Author: Cumbresfan

BNSF6400 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is a good question.  The website front page
> has Happy New Year and a notice about the 2022
> Safety Meeting so its being maintained.  As a
> member, we use to get weekly updates by Gail
> Kirby, who I believe is the wife of the Chief
> Mechanical Officer.  However, those emails
> stopped cold about one year ago.  Instead I get
> the occasional spam email in her name (account
> hacked?) and the occasional official email, but no
> real status updates (with the exception of the CMO
> Status Report in July 2021).  Until this morning,
> I haven't gotten an email from them since October
> (this morning's email was the 2022 Safety Meeting
> notice).  The constant updates made us members
> far away from Alburquerque feel like we were part
> of the organization.  I seems that ever since
> steam up, the organization has pretty much left
> those of us that aren't there in person out to
> dry.  Do we not count anymore since they got the
> steamer basically finished?  I will most likely
> not renew my membership as I no longer feel as
> part of the organization (even if its a very tiny,
> tiny part).

I just talked to Rick Kirby. CMO, and there will be some updates coming. Main work now is finishing insulation and metal jacket covering of the remainder of the boiler plus work on the tool car. And negotiations with the state to get out of our siding for testing are ongoing but slow. Also, as we all know, completing legalities can be slow and insurance is costly so continuing donations is important.

The October newsletter lists some of the recent accomplishments and future plans. The link describing that work is shown below.
http://nmslrhs.org/Sidebar/NewsLetters/Library/Newsletter-2021-10-26.pdf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/22 13:51 by Cumbresfan.

Date: 01/12/22 15:39
Author: czuleget

And remember the 2926 group is made up of all Volunteers not paid by a corporation.   

MAIN PHOTO PAGE (nmslrhs.org)  This link is working

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/22 15:45 by czuleget.

Date: 01/13/22 12:20
Author: nycman

I see in one of those photos that the 2926 is a veteran of the American Campaign in WW2. 

Date: 01/13/22 12:22
Author: TomPlatten

It is obvious to me the resident feral cats are "skin and bone"

Date: 01/15/22 07:10
Author: jdw3460

I would also enjoy reading about every jot and tiddle of progress on 2926.  But, having visited her in July 2021 (one week before they steamed her up), I met and talked with several of the volunteers who have been doggedly working on her for over 20 years.  When I realized that the average age of the volunteers who work on her every week is quite high, I understand how things tend to slow down.  I would guess that they are in need of someone 50 years younger than the average volunteer with the right expertise to take over their website and keep it updated.  I'm 85 and some of those guys are as old as I am and still working at their trades bending metal, casting parts, climbing over the engine, etc.  I have never met a more friendly and interesting bunch of gentlemen.  And the work they have done on 2926 is nothing short of unbelievable.  When you look at some of the 20-year-old pictures on their website and see the shape she was in when they started, you have to wonder how they ever got up the guts to start.  Those guys are going to have tears in their eyes when the old girl finally gets out on the main line and shows us all what she can do.   The 2926 team is not unlike the original Baldwin team who built her.  They know every wrinkle and dent and are doing the restoration in an absolutely professional manner.  When they don't have the time to lay down their wrenches and write us a progress report, I try not to whine too loudly.  Believe me, they do appreciate every dollar we have donated.  And I very recently received their annual Christmas card, which was much appreciated.
Joe Watts
Blissfield, MI

Date: 01/16/22 06:41
Author: akpsteam

The group posted on Facebook a few days ago that they made an agreement to acquire a positive train control CDU monitor and hoping to demonstrate their LeapTC system to Amtrak soon and mainline test runs sometime later in the spring.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/31/22 09:58
Author: Finderskeepers

Updates are now in place on their website, chronically their ongoing work to undo all the damage done to her while she was a park "jungle gym", as well as some updates on their PTC system. These guys deserve our support Wes, if for nothing more than designing a PTC system that will allow steam on the mainline in the future. It was their innovation that was installed on 4014, a group of volunteers helping a multi billion dollar company, not the other way around. Kudos to the 2926 folks for having the tenacity to stick with a project that resulted in the largest operable passenger engine anywhere, they need our support now more than ever to pay for track improvements to get the big girl safely to the main line.
http://www.nmslrhs.org/Status/status.php

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/22 10:00 by Finderskeepers.

Date: 01/31/22 10:56
Author: wcamp1472

Following your update, I'll withdraw my comment and delete my earlier post.
Its good to be proven wrong.
Pardon my rush to judgement...

( DONE!).

Wes Camp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/22 11:00 by wcamp1472.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0593 seconds