Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Steam & Excursion > I have to wonder about Silverton

Date: 01/10/22 16:25
I have to wonder about Silverton
Author: Copy19

My wife and I rode behind the 482 in July, 2017.  My mother and her side of the family rode the Silverton narrow gauge back when it was critical transportation shortly after the turn of the century.  I can't help but believe it's as critical to Silverton's economy today.

JB - Omaha

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/22 16:35 by Copy19.

Date: 01/10/22 16:37
Re: I have to wonder about Silverton
Author: MojaveBill

It's also really fun to ride and see! Great photo!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 01/10/22 16:52
Author: tomstp

Yep JB it is crucial to Silverton's economy.  I read where the railroad furnishes passengers that provide 70% of Silverton's  income in 4 months.

Date: 01/11/22 04:40
Author: dan

Silverton real estate prices are going thru the roof, the new residents not so much, prices have doubled i beleive

Date: 01/11/22 10:02
Author: Earlk

In 2020, there were no trains in Silverton all summer.  Apperently, Silverton survived quite nicely.

Date: 01/12/22 06:50
Author: BAB

Earlk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In 2020, there were no trains in Silverton all
> summer.  Apperently, Silverton survived quite
> nicely.
And how did you detrmin that? By talking to business owners and others who depend on the rail traffic for business or the fact those who live there are still alive?

Date: 01/12/22 09:55
Author: webmaster

Unique tourist railroads bring a tremendous amount of business to local communities they serve.  Over the summer in Marina we closed up one evening after the last handcar tour and went out to the local mexican restaurant down the street.  I was surprised to see five families from our previous tour eating there.  We were a small operation, perhaps bringing in 300 people a day, but if we had been larger the benefit would have been even more dramatic.  In talking to some of our customers I concluded that at minimum they spent an equal amount outside the rail operation.  Perhaps 25% spent even more by planning a longer trip, staying in hotels, and doing other activities in the region.  One customer told me he came for the handcar tour, but ended up spending $2000 more for golf, scuba diving, eating in nice restaurants, and staying in a nice hotel.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 01/12/22 10:16
Author: Earlk

BAB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Earlk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > In 2020, there were no trains in Silverton all
> > summer.  Apperently, Silverton survived quite
> > nicely.
> And how did you detrmin that? By talking to
> business owners and others who depend on the rail
> traffic for business or the fact those who live
> there are still alive?

I heard it from a guy who lives there....

Date: 01/12/22 10:24
Author: callum_out

Real question would be, "Did you come to ride the train or visit Silverton?", You can get to Silverton without the train but
would as many people go train or not?

Out 

Date: 01/14/22 00:22
Author: dan

Ouray' Telluride, lake city, gunnison, pagosa springs, all lost their trains doing fine. Lotta stuff to do in the region.   silverton is booming

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0395 seconds