Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Steam & Excursion > Last day of Steam Locomotive on scheduled B&O Passenger Train?

Date: 01/27/22 05:50
Last day of Steam Locomotive on scheduled B&O Passenger Train?
Author: bandob

I'm going to suggest that it occured in 1964. On certain weekends that summer, B&O held "Iron Horse Days"  using Reading T-1 2100 and open window cars from the Reading Rambles. The train ran on the schedules of regular Baltimore-Washington trains and also carried an Air-conditioned coach for the "regular' scheduled passengers on the train. A Capitol Limited dome and observation provided First Class Service.

Here it is at Riverdale and at Hyattsville, MD.

Also between runs at Camden Station, Baltimore.

B&OBill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/22 05:51 by bandob.

Date: 01/27/22 07:57
Re: Last day of Steam Locomotive on scheduled B&O Passenger Train
Author: ClubCar

Thanks Bill for the memories of the Reading T-1, 2100 back in 1964, and you are correct in that it did make one of the trips on a regular scheduled B&O passenger train.  These "B&O Iron Horse Days" were put together by Mr. William F. Howes, Jr. who at that time was the Director Passenger Services for the combined B&O and C&O Railroads.  From what I remember the trips sold out and they were very successful in allowing many young folks the chance to ride behind a main-line steam locomotive at regular speed over the B&O.  Those were great times for sure.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/22 08:23 by ClubCar.

Date: 01/27/22 18:52
Author: Tominde

Hopefully that 2100 will soon be operational again.   

Did it take the B&O much effort to put 2100 in operation?  When was it last used prior to that on Reading Rambles?

Date: 01/27/22 19:19
Author: wcamp1472

It was active that summer in several Reading Rambles.
When it went to Baltimore for the trips to Washington, we high-tailed-it to 
Baltimore, the Friday before!

I had just completed a 4-year commitment to the USAF ....spent 1 yr in tech achool,
Biloxi, MS., and 3 years in Great Falls, MT... and returned home to along Island
for the last year of the Reading Rambles.

We spent a mememorable Friday evening in the cab of 2100, at Riverside (?),
 thanks to an invitation by the hostler attending to the engine that night ---
before a weekend of trips.  Riding both days and chasing whenever we got the chance..
There was a spectacular parallel. Highway ( Rte US 40?) where we chased & paced the
northbound trips..

My memory is that 2100 ran 2 round trips to Washington Union Station each 
of the two weekend days,   Then it returned, north, back to Reading, that 
Sunday evening.

That weekend romp, changed my life goals, forever..

Thank you for posting these pics...my own slides of that weekend are packed away,
following our recent move to north of Dover, DE.

Wes Camp

Date: 01/27/22 19:43
Author: bandob

Wes, that was US 1 that  ran alongside the railroad.

B&O Bill

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0824 seconds