Home Open Account Help 222 users online

Steam & Excursion > UP 3985 & Other Equipment Donated to RRHMA

Current Page:1 of 4

Date: 04/28/22 11:19
UP 3985 & Other Equipment Donated to RRHMA
Author: akpsteam

Well this came to a really big suprise.

Just got an email from the UP Steam Club that the Challenger 3985 and other equipment sitting in Cheyenne has been donated to the Railroading Heritage of Midwest America (also known for running MILW 261).

The list is as follows:
  • 4-6-6-4 Challenger UP 3985
  • Class TTT 2-10-2 UP 5511
  • The Centennial UP 6936
  • E9B passenger locomotive shell
  • Four 1950s coach cars
  • Diner-Lounge car
  • Baggage car
  • Caboose
  • Two business cars: the Selma, previously Western Pacific's Feather River, and the Stanford, originally the 1928 Southern Pacific Sunset
Also it was mentioned that 3985 and 5511 will be restored and operating and that the equipment will be moved to Silvis, IL later this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/22 11:24 by akpsteam.

Date: 04/28/22 11:24
Re: UP 3985 & Other Equipment Donated to RRHMA
Author: LoggerHogger

Here is the complete announcement:

Union Pacific Steam Club Update No. 23 - April 28, 2022
https://www.up.com/cs/groups/public/@uprr/@corprel/documents/digitalmedia/img_up_her-steam-3985_m.jpg  We're pleased to announce that we have donated a small portion of our heritage fleet to the non-profit Railroading Heritage of Midwest America (RRHMA). The donation allows Union Pacific to focus on our remaining fleet, which includes the world's largest steam locomotive, the Big Boy UP 4014, and the fastest, the Living Legend UP 844.
The donation includes the following equipment from Union Pacific's Steam Shop in Cheyenne, Wyoming:
  • 4-6-6-4 Challenger UP 3985
  • Class TTT 2-10-2 UP 5511
  • The Centennial UP 6936
  • E9B passenger locomotive shell
  • Four 1950s coach cars
  • Diner-Lounge car
  • Baggage car
  • Caboose
  • Two business cars: the Selma, previously Western Pacific's Feather River, and the Stanford, originally the 1928 Southern Pacific Sunset
"Union Pacific is proud to be the only Class I railroad with steam locomotives on its roster, part of the finest heritage fleet in the world," said Scott Moore, senior vice president – Corporate Relations and chief administrative officer. "We are pleased with RRHMA's plans to restore the donated equipment for the public to enjoy. Union Pacific remains dedicated to the maintenance and operation of our remaining heritage fleet, including hosting future tours and sharing UP 4014 and UP 844 with the rail community."
Union Pacific will move the equipment to RRHMA's shop in Silvis, Illinois, later this year. RRHMA plans a multi-year, multi-million-dollar restoration of the equipment, including restoring the steam locomotives to operating condition.
"The RRHMA is a wonderful home for this historic equipment," said Ed Dickens, steam locomotive engineer and Steam Program manager. "Railfans will look forward to seeing UP 3985 and UP 5511 return to the rails, as well as enjoy the opportunity to experience the various cars being donated."
More information about moving these locomotives from Cheyenne to Silvis, Illinois will come later.  As always, we'll keep Steam Club members updated.
West Coast Steam Tour
Planning continues for the Big Boy UP 4014's "West Coast Steam Tour" continues. We don't have updated dates yet, but when we do, Steam Club members will be the first to know!
That's all for now.  Until next time, stay safe!
Union Pacific Steam Club  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/22 11:24 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 04/28/22 11:24
Author: HotWater

First important question to enter my mind is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,which tender will accompany 3985?

Date: 04/28/22 11:27
Author: Ntheo620

Awesome news that the current plan is to restore the 3985 to operating condition, hopefully they follow through on that plan to completion.  The restoration of the 5511 is a bit more surprising.

Date: 04/28/22 11:29
Author: co614

Congratulations to Steve Sandburg and the Union Pacific for this significant move. Steve has certainly shown that he knows how to get things done and I'm confident given some time all this equipment will be brought back to at least good cosmetic display condition and some of it to operating status. 

Great news all around.  Ross Rowland 

Date: 04/28/22 11:30
Author: HotWater

Ntheo620 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Awesome news that the current plan is to restore
> the 3985 to operating condition, hopefully they
> follow through on that plan to completion. 

That project will be pretty difficult and VERY expensive, since many, MANY components from 3985 are now on 4014, including the tender.

The
> restoration of the 5511 is a bit more surprising.

Date: 04/28/22 11:36
Author: kurt765

The idea of restoring 5511 certainly is surprising. It wouldn't be my top pick. But I welcome the thought of being able to see 3985 one day under steam.

Date: 04/28/22 11:43
Author: NKPBernet

kurt765 Wrote:
> The idea of restoring 5511 certainly is
> surprising. It wouldn't be my top pick. But I
> welcome the thought of being able to see 3985 one
> day under steam.

5511 under steam ... something very few alive now have seen... not even sure you would have to be in your 90s as it was only pushed around in the "Last of the Giants".

Date: 04/28/22 11:43

Date: 04/28/22 11:55
Author: CaliforniaSteamin

I guess maybe Ed Dickens doesn't dislike 3985 as much as I thought.  Hopefully it will see a return to steam as detailed in the article.

Date: 04/28/22 12:00

CaliforniaSteamin Wrote:
> Well that's the end of any hopes of seeing 3985 running.
> Ed got his last jab at the previous crew. But nothing will ever make him happy
> so it will bring him no long term satisfaction.

You are a salty dude... lol, commented on this post before you even read the release and then tried to walk it back by deleting your post. Nice try...

Date: 04/28/22 12:16
Author: TrackGuy

I have found Ed to be generally a very happy guy. Perhaps people should stop trying to project their negative opinions on others.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/28/22 12:18
Author: SLORailfanning

Good to hear they're going to a good home and not rotting in the Cheyenne Roundhouse.

Date: 04/28/22 12:24
Author: glendale

TrackGuy Wrote:
> I have found Ed to be generally a very happy guy.
> Perhaps people should stop trying to project their
> negative opinions on others.
>
> Posted from Android

its almost like Ed is trying to runs. class 1 steam program in the 2022 world of PSR. Can't be a very easy job. 

Date: 04/28/22 12:25

LoggerHogger Wrote:
> Here is the complete announcement:
>
> Union Pacific Steam Club Update No. 23 - April 28,
> 2022https://www.up.com/cs/groups/public/@uprr/@cor
> prel/documents/digitalmedia/img_up_her-steam-3985_
> m.jpg  We're pleased to announce that we have
> donated a small portion of our heritage fleet to
> the non-profit Railroading Heritage of Midwest
> America (RRHMA). The donation allows Union Pacific
> to focus on our remaining fleet, which includes
> the world's largest steam locomotive, the Big Boy
> UP 4014, and the fastest, the Living Legend UP
> 844.

Interesting phrasing in the announcement too, are they really saying the 844 is the world's fastest steam locomotive?

Date: 04/28/22 12:28
Author: bankshotone

I looked to see what trackage these folks have, I'm sure I'm not searching correctly because I could find anything, how do I go about looking it up?

Date: 04/28/22 12:30
Author: Bob3985

They will need to modify the trucks on the 5511's tender as they were friction bearings last I saw.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 04/28/22 12:38
Author: gregscholl

One thing nobody is bringing up here, is that this outfit has connecting trackage to Iowa Interstate.  These folks own 2 QJ engines, and have run quite a bit of steam.  Thus they have a connection to a steam friendly Railroad, which is about the most important thing these days!  Also if one of those UP engines was restored, there is nothing that says it cannot return to run some trips on the Union Pacific!  This all seems like a win-win for the most part.
Greg Scholl
http://www.gregschollvideo.com

Date: 04/28/22 12:39

bankshotone Wrote:
> I looked to see what trackage these folks have,
> I'm sure I'm not searching correctly because I
> could find anything, how do I go about looking it
> up?
Go to their website:
https://rrhma.com/

Date: 04/28/22 12:41
Author: Oldtyme

bankshotone Wrote:
> I looked to see what trackage these folks have,
> I'm sure I'm not searching correctly because I
> could find anything, how do I go about looking it
> up?
The Silvis complex is the huge ex Rock Island facility. I can see quite the RailFair type shows being held there in the near future! UP, BNSF and most important the steam friendly Iowa Interstate serv that sight. Wanna take a steam ride say from the Quad Cities to Des Moines or Council Bluffs by chance?? Just maybe!
Silvis Shops

Current Page:1 of 4

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0821 seconds