Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Steam & Excursion > 1969: Steam on the Pennsylvania RR

Date: 05/06/22 05:36
1969: Steam on the Pennsylvania RR
Author: bandob

Yesterday Club Car mentioned a  steam excursion out of Baltimore, up to Perryville, then on the Port Road to Harrisburg, and back over Rockville Bridge and down the former Northern Central back to Baltimore. Former CP Pacifics 1286 and 1238 pulled the train.  I was on that trip as well, but only got a few photos. 

1) In Baltimore before departure.

2) One of the stops on the Port Road.

3) A run-by on the Port Road.

One of these I think is Holtwood, the other may be Safe Harbor. Can anyone help identify?

Thanks,  B&OBill

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/22 08:07 by bandob.

Date: 05/06/22 05:37
Re: 1969: Steam on the Pennsylvania RR

1.The train at the west end of Rockville Bridge, turning towards Enola. 

2. Harrisburg, PA

3. Baltimore before departure.

Sorry to not have these in correct order. Took some time to find them.

B&OBill

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/22 08:08 by bandob.

Date: 05/06/22 07:34
Author: ClubCar

Thanks B&O Bill for your photos.  I too have some photos from that trip too and as I mentioned, those engines at that time were owned by the Red Clay Valley Group, even though there was no name painted on the two tenders.  As I put on another blog on here recently, the two engines were not properly fired that day and I have no idea why since there were supposed to be qualified fireman on each engine along with the engineers and personnel from Penn Central.  Along the way going up the Port Road, the lead engine had problems as part of the grating in the firebox was burned through, thus she could not maintain a high enough fire.  The train made a stop along the way and all kinds of "Big Wheels" got off the train and conversed around the #1286.  The train got started once again and then the 2nd engine, #1238 developed a problem with one of the piston packing's.  After another stop whereby passengers were allowed to get off for a short time, the train started up again and basically limped into Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.  Whatever happened next must have been determined that these two Pacific's were not going to be able to bring the train back to Baltimore on their own, thus Penn Central put a diesel on the front to help us back to Baltimore.  Even though the diesel was doing most of the work coming down the Northern Central Line (Owned by Penn Central), the 1286 continued to blow its' whistle for the grade crossings all the way to Baltimore.  Overall, it was a fun trip even with the engine problems.  The famous ex-B&O Lounge/Observation Car, #3302 "Edward G. Hooper" was in the middle of the consist that day, and it was strange to see one B&O painted car in the middle of all those Tuscan Red Pennsy Cars.  The "Hooper" was used for all the NRHS officers and other dignitaries who rode that trip.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 05/06/22 08:09

John, hope you will post your photos. I can help with scanning if you need me to.

Bill

Date: 05/06/22 11:54
Author: WM_1109

bandob Wrote:
> 2) One of the stops on the Port Road.
> 3) A run-by on the Port Road.
>
> One of these I think is Holtwood, the other may be
> Safe Harbor. Can anyone help identify?
>
> Thanks,  B&OBill

Bill, I'm not sure about Photo 2, but Photo 3 (the runby) is most definitely at Safe Harbor.
/Ted

Date: 05/06/22 11:57
Author: WM_1109

ClubCar Wrote:
> I too have some photos from that trip too and as I mentioned,
> those engines at that time were owned by the Red
> Clay Valley Group, even though there was no name
> painted on the two tenders.  
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

John,
Are you sure about the HRCV ownership?  I thought these two locomotives were owned by George Hart.
/Ted

Date: 05/06/22 11:57
Author: jkh2cpu

That run-by is looking good!

Date: 05/07/22 12:54
Author: ClubCar

Theowhitey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ClubCar Wrote:
> > I too have some photos from that trip too and
> as I mentioned,
> > those engines at that time were owned by the
> Red
> > Clay Valley Group, even though there was no
> name
> > painted on the two tenders.  
> > John in White Marsh, Maryland
>
> John,
> Are you sure about the HRCV ownership?  I thought
> these two locomotives were owned by George Hart.
> /Ted
George Hart had owned them prior to this trip, but he sold them to the Red Clay Valley Group in 1969.  After this group lost money and had to repair both locomotives, they were put up for sale and that is when Jack Showalter purchase them both.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.099 seconds