Home Open Account Help 149 users online

Steam & Excursion > UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022


Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2


Date: 08/02/22 18:59
UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022
Author: RS12394

Someone was inquiring about the lack of 4014 videos this past week. Here is one I made of the 4014 cruising the Belt Line in Denver, passing the north edge of UP's North Yard, and moving out onto the Moffat Tunnel Sub to be able to back into a yard track at Utah Junction to tie up for the night. This is just a short segment of that video. The full 7-minute version is on my FB page.

Joe McMillan



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/22 19:04 by RS12394.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!




Date: 08/02/22 19:25
Re: UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022
Author: Bob3985

Thanks for the video Joe.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY



Date: 08/03/22 06:28
Re: UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022
Author: dougd

What is he doing with his left habd pulling on a handle throughtout the clip?



Date: 08/03/22 06:59
Re: UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022
Author: HotWater

dougd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is he doing with his left habd pulling on a
> handle throughtout the clip?

He not "pulling on a handle", but PUSHING on the independent brake valve, in order to bail-off the independent air brakes.



Date: 08/03/22 08:51
Re: UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022
Author: joeygooganelli

Is that a non-lapping brake? That looks like a 6 brake. Wonder if he's getting a leak causing the brake cylinder pressure to start popping up?

Joe



Date: 08/03/22 09:07
Re: UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022
Author: TomPlatten

I noticed the electronic readout to the engineers left. Is that for PTC or to control the diesel or both?



Date: 08/03/22 09:23
Re: UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022
Author: HotWater

joeygooganelli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is that a non-lapping brake? That looks like a 6
> brake. Wonder if he's getting a leak causing the
> brake cylinder pressure to start popping up?
>
> Joe

All the UP "big three" steam locomotives, i.e. 800 class, 3900 class, and 4000 class, were/are equipped with 8ET brake schedules.



Date: 08/03/22 09:24
Re: UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022
Author: HotWater

TomPlatten Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I noticed the electronic readout to the engineers
> left. Is that for PTC or to control the diesel or
> both?

PTC.



Date: 08/03/22 10:04
Re: UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022
Author: retcsxcfm

BOY! Does that giant machine sound great.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.



Date: 08/03/22 10:08
Re: UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022
Author: dmaffei

Congrats on video of the day. I'm not on Facebook. Is there a way to view your entire video? T4P



Date: 08/03/22 14:26
Re: UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022
Author: RS12394

dmaffei Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Congrats on video of the day. I'm not on Facebook.
> Is there a way to view your entire video? T4P

I tried to upload the entire 7-minute sequence, but the file size exceeded the maximum allowed on TO. I'll see if I can find a link to my FB file. Not sure how to do that; maybe someone has a suggestion.

Joe Mac



Date: 08/03/22 14:33
Re: UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022
Author: RS12394

RS12394 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> dmaffei Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Congrats on video of the day. I'm not on
> Facebook.
> > Is there a way to view your entire video? T4P
>
> I tried to upload the entire 7-minute sequence,
> but the file size exceeded the maximum allowed on
> TO. I'll see if I can find a link to my FB file.
> Not sure how to do that; maybe someone has a
> suggestion.
>
> Joe Mac

Try this and see if it works.

https://www.facebook.com/joe.m.mcmillan/videos/835074241202967

Joe Mac



Date: 08/03/22 14:43
Re: UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022
Author: callum_out

Still requies a FB login.

Out 



Date: 08/03/22 14:55
Re: UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

 "The full 7-minute version is on my FB page. Joe McMillan"
I can't find it on:
McMillan Publications Inc | Facebook



Date: 08/03/22 16:09
Re: UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022
Author: ironmtn

retcsxcfm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BOY! Does that giant machine sound great.
>
> Uncle Joe
> Seffner,Fl.

No kidding! Wow, what a great piece of video, and fantastic sound. Congrats on a well-deserved VOTD. I sure hope a download can be made available for those of us not on Facebook. (And I'd gladly pay, too!)

And Hot Water, you may wish to explain a bit further for those who are less knowledgeable about why it's necessary for Ed to keep bailing off the independent. It caught my attention right away.

A lot to see, study and savor in that video. Thanks, Joe - a real gem (no matter what your feelings are about the current UP steam program).

MC



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/22 16:12 by ironmtn.



Date: 08/03/22 16:21
Re: UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022
Author: HotWater

ironmtn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> retcsxcfm Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > BOY! Does that giant machine sound great.
> >
> > Uncle Joe
> > Seffner,Fl.
>
> No kidding! Wow, what a great piece of video, and
> fantastic sound. Congrats on a well-deserved VOTD.
> I sure hope a download can be made available for
> those of us not on Facebook. (And I'd gladly pay,
> too!)
>
> And Hot Water, you may wish to explain a bit
> further for those who are less knowledgeable about
> why it's necessary for Ed to keep bailing off the
> independent. It caught my attention right away.

I have no idea what he keeps doing that. I fired for 4 different Engineers on the UP, and 2 different Engineers on 4449, and even MU'ed with a diesel/diesels I never saw ANY of them doing that!



> A lot to see, study and savor in that video.
> Thanks, Joe - a real gem (no matter what your
> feelings are about the current UP steam program).
>
> MC



Date: 08/03/22 16:22
Re: UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022
Author: dmaffei

I tried too and sent to logon page. Thanks for your effort. Maybe break it into two parts? Thanks again.



Date: 08/03/22 18:09
Re: UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022
Author: nathansixchime

Bailing off the independent is a precaution to prevent the locomotive brakes from climbing on gradually over time and to reduce unnecessary wear.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/22 19:15 by nathansixchime.



Date: 08/03/22 18:55
Re: UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022
Author: callum_out

Huh?

Out 



Date: 08/03/22 19:18
Re: UP 4014 Cruising the Belt Line in Denver, July 28, 2022
Author: ironmtn

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ironmtn Wrote:

> > And Hot Water, you may wish to explain a bit
> > further for those who are less knowledgeable about
> > why it's necessary for Ed to keep bailing off the
> > independent. It caught my attention right away.
>
> I have no idea what he keeps doing that. I fired
> for 4 different Engineers on the UP, and 2
> different Engineers on 4449, and even MU'ed with a
> diesel/diesels I never saw ANY of them doing
> that!

nathansixchime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bailing off the independent is a precaution to
> prevent the locomotive brakes from climbing on
> gradually over time and to reducing unnecessary
> wear.

Well, thanks for responding, HotWater and nathansixchime. I wanted to give HotWater the courtesy of responding first and amplifying on his original post. And nathan, thanks, and understood.

My read previously and now (and please comment and correct if I am wrong -- I am not a railroader): I interpreted the need to bail off on the independent repeatedly as necessary due to the fact that he had a previous set on the automatic (train) brake, and he needed / wanted to be sure that that the independent (engine) brakes did not also set up. The set on the automatic could be seen from the start of the video by the position of the automatic brake handle (large brass handle) at the first stop, a setting which he held until about the 59 second time mark in the video, when he does a release on the automatic.

My surprise (again, not a railroader, and certainly no air brake expert) was that he repeatedly bailed off, instead of just once at the start of the application on the automatic. My previous understanding has been, and from what I can recall from a few cab rides and from videos, is that the bail off was only necessary upon the initial application of the automatic, or upon any additional set on the automatic. I did not think that a repeated bail off on the independent was needed after an initial set with no modification on the automatic. But again, I could be totally wrong.

Could it be that the brake schedule on the 4014 requires repeated bail offs, or is better for some reason with repeated bail offs after a set on the automatic, whereas other brake schedules do not? Since as noted apparently the 844 and 3985, which HotWater has fired on, did not, could there be something different about the 4014's brake schedule that makes that either necessary, or advisable? It would surprise me, but then again, I have no real way of knowing, nor any experience running to inform an answer.

Feel free to comment and / or correct as needed.

Regardless of the answer, I still really enjoyed the video. Thanks again, Joe, and thanks HotWater, nathansixchime, and anyone else for further answers / clarifications.

MC



 



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/22 19:21 by ironmtn.



Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2


[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0581 seconds