Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Steam & Excursion > Santa Fe 3415 in Abilene, KS

Date: 09/05/22 16:23
Santa Fe 3415 in Abilene, KS
Author: Dak

Visited Abilene & Smoky Valley Railroad over Labor Day weekend to see Santa Fe 3415 before its clock runs out. 

This weekend was the penultimate run for 3415 before its 1472 overhaul is required. The organization is currently fundraising for the rebuild (along with track upgrades). 

1. The crew prepares for a busy Saturday of excursions by changing the headlight on 3415.

2. 3415 leaves the Abilene & Smoky Valley Railroad's engine house ahead of its 10 am departure.

3. 3415 arrives at the former Rock Island Depot in Abilene, Kansas

- Dak

Date: 09/05/22 16:26
Re: Santa Fe 3415 in Abilene, KS

4. Engineer Steve Schwarting signals ahead of the Jeep Road crossing.

5. 3415 works its way up the grade and into Enterprise, Kansas, during the first run of the day.

6. 3415 eastbound during the evening dinner train approaching Jeep Road.

Date: 09/05/22 16:27

7. The sun sets of 3415.

Date: 09/05/22 18:26
Author: SantaFeCF7

Most won't agree with me, but I just got back from Strasburg and I prefer Abilene! 

Date: 09/05/22 18:45
Author: callum_out

Ms. Famer, out of petty cash, could send a crew down there to rebuild that railroad!

Out 

Date: 09/05/22 20:32
Author: oyw

Excellent work, some of the finest shots I've seen of the A&SV!

Date: 09/05/22 20:57
Author: UP951West

I like your images of ATSF 3415 , DAK . Just rode behind 3415 Saturday, 9/3/22 on the 2 pm train with a railfan buddy . We had a great time and all the staff was friendly . At Enterprise, KS on the hour layover , they allow cab visits. 
Your ATSF 3415 sunset shot is excellent !  Thanks for sharing. 

Date: 09/06/22 06:45
Author: switchlock

Yes, nice shots!

Date: 09/06/22 09:40
Author: TrackGuy

Maybe they could start with some weedspraying before they worry about ties and surfacing.

TrackGuy

Posted from Android

Date: 09/06/22 14:16
Author: sixbit

Thanks for posting. Photo #6 is a nice contrast in the old and the new in one frame!

John Mills

Date: 09/06/22 16:11
Author: grizzledgary

TrackGuy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe they could start with some weedspraying
> before they worry about ties and surfacing.
>
> TrackGuy
>
Well, I thought the third image looks very much like some type of weed killer has been recently applied and I'll add that the right-of-way in the fifth shot doesn't look exactly overgrown either. I don't know if you've ever visited this operation but I have and I'll offer that they've accomplished quite a bit on a very limited budget in an area that doesn't exactly overflow with tourists that have money falling out of their pockets. I was surprised when I recently discovered just how much professional railroad weed control costs and those who have needed such services caution it is not a do-it-yourself job.

The #3415 was on the ground once or twice some years ago and I would guess it might take a bit more effort to get it back on the rails than the smaller locomotives most tourist lines operate. After riding behind #3415 most people comment that better track (maybe allowing a touch more speed...) would be great but we know that isn't cheap. That said, members of the A&SV are a dedicated, hard working group that appear plenty knowledgeable regarding how to best use their resources. I found it interesting to visit their site and read about their plans. Now that I'm aware of the track improvement program I will be sending a donation though I'll likely not get there again.  

I've always thought it was a minor miracle that #3415 was restored to operation in the first place and hoped to be there one day. Thankfully a friend attending the 2011 Train Festival in Rock Island with me was willing to add 1000 miles of driving to our route so we could enjoy a cab ride in that locomotive. We discovered that the two guys that largely led the restoration weren't "rail fans" so much as they just liked big machinery and wanted to be involved, not what we had expected at all.   

Date: 09/06/22 16:39

Thank you all for the kind words.

grizzledgary Wrote:
> That said, members of the A&SV are a
> dedicated, hard working group that appear plenty
> knowledgeable regarding how to best use their
> resources. I found it interesting to visit their
> site and read about their plans. Now that I'm
> aware of the track improvement program I will be
> sending a donation though I'll likely not get
> there again.  

I agree. Everyone at A&SV was so friendly and willing to share history about the line, the train, the community. 

They have some matching funds available for the two fundraising campaigns, so every dollar I'm sure will be greatly appreciated.

They had over 300 people ride the three trains offered on Saturday and I'm sure Sunday and Monday also saw good attendance with the holiday.

- Dak

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/22 16:40 by Dak.

Date: 09/06/22 21:47
Author: santafe199

Dak, you've posted some good stuff here! I've shot the Smokey Valley every year since '10 and feel like I've exhausted every angle there is. I find myself concentrating more & more on "people" shots. Yet, you've shown me a couple of angles I've never thought of before. Kudos!! :^)

grizzledgary Wrote: > ... The #3415 was on the ground once or twice some years ago ...
That was in 2016. I was in a position to photograph the long & painful process of getting back on the rail again.

> ... and I would guess it might take a bit more effort to get it back on the rails than the smaller locomotives  ...
Believe it or not, the 3415 went back on the rails fairly easy. It was her tender that became a real bitch to re-rail. It took over a month...

Lance/199

Date: 09/07/22 06:49

Positive comments are great to hear!  I haven't been an active volunteer at the A&SV for a few years but I still pay my dues to be a member of the organization.  The current General Manager has been there for about 2 years now, give or take.  The tie replacement has been a great shot in the arm for operations as well as morale.  Additional train ride events have been held and more are scheduled to encourage folks to come out and take a trip.  We'll continue to do as much as we can with what we have to work toward positive results.  Thanks for visiting!

Date: 09/12/22 14:38
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!  Pics 5 and 7 are my favorites!!

Date: 09/12/22 14:58
Author: LocoPilot750

The first time I got to see 3415 was on the 2nd day of operation after it was restored, not sure what year that was now. It made it to Enterprise, but got the trailer axle on the ground backing into the siding to run around the train, (wide gauge). They scared up some angle bars and wood chunks, and with in about 30 minutes, got it back on. But axle #2 came off in the same place, another 30 minutes or so, and they got that back on too. So yes, it's been on the ground in a few places, but probably not THAT place again.

Date: 09/16/22 05:57

I was at the throttle on the last run of the first day back in 2009.  As I came to stop after clearing the switch at that same place, there was a bang and a jolt.  No one else in the cab seemed to notice so asked if we were on the ground.  We weren't and we proceeded without incident.  I still wonder if we dropped a wheel off and then somehow rerailed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.065 seconds