Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Steam & Excursion > C&NW J4 Berkshire whistle type?

Date: 09/23/22 15:06
C&NW J4 Berkshire whistle type?
Author: cnwdon

I'm choosing a 3rd Rail/ERRCo sound board type for my C&NW berkshire.  Can someone say what whistle type they had? Was it a high pitched single chime, or a multi-chime of some kind?  No answers seem to be available on our C&NW Historical Society website.  Thanks for answers or leads to one

Date: 09/23/22 15:12
Re: C&NW J4 Berkshire whistle type?
Author: HotWater

Shouldn't this be on the Model Railroad board????

Date: 09/23/22 15:53
Author: Wypete

Well, he's asking about the 1:1 scale steam locomotive. Not like he's asking how to wire up a model.

Date: 09/23/22 18:35
Author: grizzledgary

I could be completely wrong here but I sense this might be a case where the member seeking information for the purpose of modeling a prototype he never had a chance to see or hear in person has been asked to leave the room because this is a place for real railroaders, not those that are just playing with toy trains.   So, welcome aboard......now kindly sit down and no more stupid questions, got it?

Date: 09/23/22 19:28
Author: wabash2800

Could you provide a photo of the real whistle, perhaps on the loco?

Victor B.

Date: 09/24/22 06:24

Yes, thanks. Since the posts, I came across a photo (attached) that should help.  To my poorly educated eye, it looks like the J4 has a two or three chime whistle next to the steam dome.
For some reason it wants to attach rotated, couldn't get that fixed. Other photos show different whistles, not surprising for the "use anything that still works" Cheap and Nothing Wasted.  I only need one prototype with more than one chime.

Date: 09/24/22 17:24
Author: MP4093

Two things. First, it looks like and would likely be a chime whistle, probably a five which was common at the time, and may be similar to other C&NW whistles. Second, if no one knows, who is going to say it is wrong. Also see rule number one: It's my railroad".

Date: 09/26/22 06:56

Thanks for the reply.  Good enough for me to dispense with the high-pitched single-tone whistle; ERRCo's Medium Steam board has a nice multi-chime that will do.  Any additional educated guesses are welcome.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0288 seconds